Chassis
F53
Engine
Godzilla
TOW/TOAD
on the hunt for a toad
Fulltimer
No
At least I think that's what it is called from my research. It's a drum mounted at the rear end of the drive shaft just before the differential.
Not a huge leak, just some drips. I noticed it while we were camped about 180 miles from home. Had to chance it and drive back for work and the coach performed just fine.

It looks like the closest Ford dealer that will work on my size is in OKC, about 200 miles away from me.
I'm not sure if it's OK to drive it that far, again, or if I am risking some catastrophic damage if something totally goes wacky.
Ford says they will tow me, but I would really much rather drive than trust the tow operators to get it there unscathed.

What is the potential for damage given this leak? I'm no mechanic and am still researching how this brake works and what might be involved with checking the fluid levels or adding if needed.

At least I think that's what it is called from my research. It's a drum mounted at the rear end of the drive shaft just before the differential.
Not a huge leak, just some drips. I noticed it while we were camped about 180 miles from home. Had to chance it and drive back for work and the coach performed just fine.

It looks like the closest Ford dealer that will work on my size is in OKC, about 200 miles away from me.
I'm not sure if it's OK to drive it that far, again, or if I am risking some catastrophic damage if something totally goes wacky.
Ford says they will tow me, but I would really much rather drive than trust the tow operators to get it there unscathed.

What is the potential for damage given this leak? I'm no mechanic and am still researching how this brake works and what might be involved with checking the fluid levels or adding if needed.
Have you determine the source of the leak? Is the drum mounted on the transmission, or differential? Or is it mounted to the truck frame?

If mounted to the frame then the leak is brake/hydraulic oil.

If mounted to the transmission or differential, it May be lube.

That said,if it is lube, you should check levels before the drive. Make sure the brake is free running to keep heat buildup to a minimum, as oils will self combust!!!

Need I say more???

It's mounted just forward of the differential, not the transmission.
I'm not at the coach now, and the owner's manual doesn't describe it at all that I've found.
I'll try to figure out how to check the level when I'm home.

I believe this is the fill plug on my differential. Remove plug, reach in with a finger and oil level should be close to the bottom of the fill hole. If low, add. Looks like there is some Loc Tite on there as well so I'll reapply it too.

Sound right?
DIfferential.jpg

I have a 2023 Entegra Vision XL 36C that had the same leak issue at the differential mounted parking brake. The issue is related to Ford Service Shop Manual bulletin SSM51050. The bulletin describes certain motorhomes experiencing parking brake “drag”. The drag causes the parking brake drum to overheat and lock up. On one trip our parking brake got so hot it burned the paint off the drum, melted the overhead wire loom; and, damaged the pinion shaft oil seal causing the differential to loose three quarts of oil. Fortunately the oil did not come in contact with the hot brake drum. The result could have been a catastrophic fire. The fuel tank is mounted above and behind the drum.

Because of this issue, I have filed a formal fire / safety complaint with NHTSA. The complaint number is #11612346. The NHTSA Vehicle Safety Hot Line is 1-888-327-4236. Since your vehicle has already experienced a similar leak, please join me and call NHTSA.

Stay safe out there. Together we may be able get Ford to fix this Serious Safety Hazard.
JK

Attachments

• IMG_1052.jpeg
    IMG_1052.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22

Latest resources

Back