Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Ezyrider202

RVF Regular
Laying in bed this evening and realized it was getting pretty cold. Then it got colder. It’s 16 degrees on the way dow to a low of 14.

Have two furnaces each on own thermo. Both furnaces had shut down. They were both running just fine an hour or so earlier. Switched both off for a minute at the thermos, then back on. They both started up but evidently did not light, pumping out only cold air, then after about five minutes, they shut down. Repeat. Same result. Plenty of propane. Replaced twenty amp fuses for both. No dice. Checked out both new and old fuses, all looked intact.

Ah, Sherlock Holmes. The stove won’t light.

Have electric heater to get through the night, but need to get on the problem first thing in the morning. Any ideas? Anyone still awake out there?

1. House battery power. The furnace needs at least 10.5 volts DC and sometimes more to open the valve. This must be checked at the module board with a multimeter.
2. Blown fuse. There is a 12-volt fuse in the distribution center and sometimes an inline fuse in the module board on the furnace. Verify they are in working order.
3. Correct LP pressure. Do the stove top and other LP appliances work correctly?

Found this on line. Could be a regulator issue. If stove won’t light the problem is not likely the furnace. ( my opinion). Good luck I hope it warms up today.

Sounds like the regulator froze up.

Found this Online . . . Hope it helps

Can RV Propane Regulators or Lines Freeze?​

The short answer is yes they can but not because it’s too cold outside.

One reason for a propane regulator to freeze is the tank is overfilled and liquid propane is being shot into the regulator. When the liquid propane turns to a gas inside the regulator it gets extremely cold and freezes up.

If this happens, turn off the propane tank and let the regulator thaw. Then slowly open the propane tank and use a little bit at a time until the liquid propane is no longer flowing into the regulator.

Another more common reason for regulators and lines to freeze is moisture built up inside your propane tank.

It’s not the propane that is freezing but the water. Most propane suppliers have the ability to add anhydrous methanol to your propane tank. This will absorb the moisture and remove it from your propane tank.

If your RV propane regulator is getting old it may start letting moisture in which can cause it to freeze up as well.

The last problem could be the propane mixture is not cold-weather friendly.

If you are going to be staying up north where it’s cold during the winter make sure you fill your propane tanks there so you get the right kind.

See Also: How To Change An Automatic 2-Stage Dual RV Propane Regulator

Conclusion​

Propane regulators can freeze up but it’s not usually the propane’s fault but things like moisture and overfilling.

Also if the RV propane regulator is old and letting in moisture that can cause it to freeze up as well. Make sure you replace an old or bad propane regulator.

Propane lines should never freeze and the issue normally lies with the pressure in the propane tank or the regulator.

See Also: Best 2 Stage Dual Tank RV Propane Regulators Reviews

If you are going to be camping in below zero weather make sure your propane tanks are filled properly and are moisture-free.

Also, check that the regulator is in good condition (click here for how to tell if an RV propane regulator has gone bad), and try not to use a ton of propane all at once.

Another tip is to light a burner on your stove for a minute before turning on your furnace to get a little bit of propane flowing before the high demand of the furnace kicks in.

Thank you W, this is great information… an education. I’ve got a different emergency going on this morning (when it rains it pours, right?), and I’ll make good use of this info as soon as I get back. Much appreciated.

I was about to ask same question. Exactly same situation. Between 10-15 degrees outside and this happens. Just to check I brought a smaller propane tank and checked with it and everything seems to work fine. Waited till the morning and the old tank worked fine again. It was pretty full when I checked it.

I love my Aquahot . . .

Latest resources

Back