Roadtrek SS Agile
RV Length
Chassis
Sprinter
Engine
Mercedes Diesel
Fulltimer
No
What can we run at same time as a/c on 30 amp In our 2010 SS Agile?

With only one A/C running ( and I assume that your rig has only one) I’ve never had to ration power on 30Amp service.

I was told once that the A/C uses the most power at start-up. But, once started, the electrical load is less. So...if your A/C is going then there is no problem at all using the microwave, for example, at the same time. But you might see a dip if lots of other stuff is on and then you decide to turn on the A/C. That instant draw could trigger a fault, but is easily corrected.

What can we run at same time as a/c on 30 amp In our 2010 SS Agile?
A little history first! In the 50's most houses had fuses, and 60 amp service. It was uncommon to see AC but common for people to overload the circuits in their houses.
I am sure that many a person questioned how many things could be put on a circuit. Not understanding what fuses were for, many people just changed out a fuse that continued to blow, with a larger rated fuse, or in some cases a penny behind the fuse that blew.

In some cases a fuse box had so many fuses not of proper size, one would need to remove the panel and check wire size to straightened things out! Many house fires were caused by the practice, now we have breakers !!!

Unless you decided to change out breakers in your system or the pedestal!!! Chances are you will teach yourself the limits of 30 amp service, and limit your expectations!!! The option of course is to risk personal and family injury, by increasing the rating of your breakers.

Wow that’s what it was like in the 50s i think B&W TV was available in those days. Just after horse and buggy.

Interestingly my first home was a Sears kit house, Four fuse ~25amp Fuse Box service. Built before TV, etc. Had to shut off the refrigerator to use the stove to insure no trip to the basement, haha. The penny in the box was an emergency option.

First budget item was an upgraded 75-100 amp panel with breakers and associated wiring for kitchen appliances. Scary wiring in that place.

Interestingly my first home was a Sears kit house, Four fuse ~25amp Fuse Box service. Built before TV, etc. Had to shut off the refrigerator to use the stove to insure no trip to the basement, haha. The penny in the box was an emergency option.

First budget item was an upgraded 75-100 amp panel with breakers and associated wiring for kitchen appliances. Scary wiring in that place.
Post and knob! Right? At least it was supposed to be!!!

I like Kevins premise that you will learn soon enough what can and can't be done on 30 amps. I am changing one over to 50 amps for a customer now and will do mine as well. I cannot run my AC and turn on the water heater. This will either blow my 30 amp fuse or the pedestal fuse. Haven't tried the microwave, we don't use it. With my power watchdog I can watch what each item draws at startup and what they draw when running. Personal opinion, no camper ever should have been built with a 30 amp service unless it had less then 30 amps draw total. And they still do it.

I like Kevins premise that you will learn soon enough what can and can't be done on 30 amps. I am changing one over to 50 amps for a customer now and will do mine as well. I cannot run my AC and turn on the water heater. This will either blow my 30 amp fuse or the pedestal fuse. Haven't tried the microwave, we don't use it. With my power watchdog I can watch what each item draws at startup and what they draw when running. Personal opinion, no camper ever should have been built with a 30 amp service unless it had less then 30 amps draw total. And they still do it.
Let me add!!!

30 amps one leg
50 amps two legs

30 vs . 100 !!! 30 amp service is less than a third the power of 50 amp service!!! If you need to use the dog bone at least you have service but you will be very limited. For the record, I use a fraction of that.

You are correct of course Kevin. 3600 available watts versus 12,000 watts. As to your personal use, you are one of those people that minimize life and like it. The vast majority want to flick the switch or just get hot water out of the tap rather then think about the process of how that happens. If nothing else, 30 amp campers has taught many people about the power of the electric grid.

Latest resources

Back