RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutchstar 4369
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CRV
The coach is in covered storage beside the house. Today went inside to check the dehumidifier, and noticed there was no AC power on L2, and batteries down to 9.5V. In a minute found out that the power reel brushes failed again.
What bugs me is that the brushes are not a replaceable component. Even if you send the reel to GD they will not do it.
Only option is to buy the whole reel with cable for around $700. My reel and cable are like new. We are not full timers.
I never move the reel while powered.
Imagine if you develop two bad spark plugs on your car, and they tell you only choice is a new engine??
Always something......

I wonder if this is related to your low voltage issues from the OASIS testing?

I thought about it too, but have no idea

This is a design issue with how newmar installed power reels prior to 2016. It has nothing to do with moving while plugged in, but rather the side to side motion while driving.

The full history of this issue is documented here:

Once you get the new reel make sure to secure it from side to side motion. Like you, I had gone thru several in short order. It wasn't until GD sent a tech to my home that they discovered the faulty installation method that newmar had in the line.

After that fix, it never failed again.

2019 DSDP 4369 * Active Air * NHSO

RedBaron, I did read the discussion before I posted, but did not see a solution. Can you be more specific on the fix?
Photo if you have one.
Thanks.

My fix was to replace the cord reel with a Glendinning RLC Cablemaster. https://www.glendinningprods.com/products/cablemaster/. This is a cord "coiler" and has no slip rings. I built a mount on the electrical bay wall for the "coiler" and a box on the electrical bay floor to keep the cord in a contained space.

I liked the coiler idea for the lack of moving parts. I have to decide on the right model.

Last edited:
Newmar uses 2 lag bolts into wood to secure the reel at the front. When grabbing it from the top, I could move it from side to side enough that it would eventually wear out the contacts.

The fix is to dril thru the floor, and use a long bolt, washers and nut to securely fasten the reel base to the floor.

When properly secured, there is no side to side movement.

2019 DSDP 4369 * Active Air * NHSO

Thank you redbaron. I was looking at it and was thinking installing a brace from the top of the reel to the side wall.

I still have the original coiler in my coach. I've not had a problem with it.

Latest resources

Back