• Commercial/Vendors welcome

50A Glendenning power cord reel Failed again

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Thank you Rick. I will get in touch with Glendenning on Monday and see which coiler I can install. It will be nice if I can use the cord from the existing reel?

I just sent my reel back to the factory last Thursday. Should be there today for repair. $85 freight from AZ. I like the idea of securing this to the wall to keep it from moving sideways. If this thing fails again I'm thinking of getting the bucket style cord storage like I had in my last coach. No problem with that at all. No moving parts. KISS

I ordered a new power Glendenning RLC power head assembly from eBay for $350 incl. shipping. All I need is to make a mounting bracket, and find a cord storage pail for the cord.
Also I'm using the cord from the failed reel.

Attachments

• GD RLC.jpg
    GD RLC.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 25
Why does this have to be brand specific such as Glendenning? Why not just some type of retractable cord system as you have the 50A cable. Why are we locked into this vendor? @redbaron knows everything on the Internet and probably can think of alternate solutions. Hopefully most of us won't have an issue but for those that do why repeat the problem?

Sometimes, I long for the simpler days. Our 2014 Ventana LE just had a 50A cable that I manually coiled into a shallow pan I found at a farm supply store. It never failed me and wasn't that big a deal. If our powered cable reel in the MADP ever quits, I will just remove it and use the existing cable to coil on the floor of the electrical bay.

TJ

Last edited:
TJ,
Now you are telling me? Too late ??

I am not sure that the coiler actually turns the cable to coil it. I think it is the bucket that coils the cord and the mechanism just pumps it in til you tell it to stop. When we bought our rig I said let's go for a drive and I saw the seller gather up the power cord and stuff it in the power bay. Hmm. I had seen the tub and coiler in there. It ended up being a popped CB on the wall behind the tub - love those easy fixes.

Well regarding the "coiling "function here is my experience. I bought the same power unit that @Bully has purchased. I mounted the unit on a bracket about 9" from the side wall and as high in the electric bay as I could put it. I also used the power cable that was in the reel. I built a box that is about 15" square using the bay side wall and back wall for two of the sides. When the cord is run in with the RLC "coiler" it naturally coils up under the unit. I agree with @RKins the power unit is not doing anything other than "pumping" the cord in, i.e. it does not have any "spin" or "coiling" action in the mechanism. The "box" I built does not appear to be doing anything to contain or force the cord to coil up. It does keep me from putting any other items in the area where the cord will be coiled. I have a pretty big electric bay in my 2015 Ventana but it appears to me the coiler should work just fine in a smaller bay. You might want to give it a try without any bucket or box below to see how the cord behaves.

SC,
Thank you for your post. It makes me feel better. I will try a 16-17 inch shallow plastic pail to collect the cable to keep any garbage contained? Will let everyone know how it goes.

Latest resources

Back