• Commercial/Vendors welcome

50A Glendenning power cord reel Failed again

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Why is this even needed. Can't the cord reel be hard wired to the cord and then a connection from the reel to the ATS? Imagine 4 lugs hanging off the back of the cord reel assembly and that's where another 50A wire goes between the reel and the ATS.
@Neal , you would still have the requirement of mating a fixed contact to one that rotates. You could probably set up a mechanical contact that you could switch by hand back and forth to the reel contacts but that would be very problematic with many safety problems.
On my previous coach I had the type that coiled the cord in a container. Worked for 10 years with zero problems. Wonder why the reel type is so popular?

Today I took apart the failed reel, and now I understood why they are not selling the failed contacts assembly as a spare part. It is a huge job to remove and replace them. I bet just the labor (if you hire a service shop) will be more than the new reel. Don't know who designed this equipment, but it is extremely complicated with great number of complicated to produce components, for doing such a simple job as coiling a cable?
I saved the motor and switch with incorporated relay. They all look new and wired together. All is needed is to connect the Pos and Neg wires. If someone wants them, you can have them for FREE. just pay the shipping, Around $12 by USPS Priority flat rate box.
IMG_3548.jpegIMG_3549.jpeg

Why does this have to be brand specific such as Glendenning? Why not just some type of retractable cord system as you have the 50A cable. Why are we locked into this vendor? @redbaron knows everything on the Internet and probably can think of alternate solutions. Hopefully most of us won't have an issue but for those that do why repeat the problem?
Here’s an alternative to Glendinning I spotted this morning:
Shoreline RW40RMK Drinking Water Hose Reel For RV's Amazon.com: Shoreline RW40RMK Drinking Water Hose Reel For RV's: Automotive

To use hose reel, you have to disconnect the coach
side, so you can rotate the reel . Me thinks?

To use hose reel, you have to disconnect the coach
side, so you can rotate the reel . Me thinks?
What makes you think that? Obviously that would render the whole thing useless.

How are you going to roll the reel, without twisting the wire at the coach end?

How are you going to roll the reel, without twisting the wire at the coach end?
It works the same as any other motorized hose reel, including the Glendinning. It has a water tight brass rotator in the center that rotates with the spindle as it turns. You connect your hose to that (it actually comes with the hose already connected) then on the side of the unit (which is not shown) there is a 1/2” MPT output that you use to run some additional hose to your filters.

it’s effectively the same thing as the Glendinning unit, just an alternative brand and a little cheaper.

Than you are back to the sliding contacts. That’s what I was trying to avoid. Go ahead and try it and let us know how it works out. Hope it does.

Than you are back to the sliding contacts. That’s what I was trying to avoid. Go ahead and try it and let us know how it works out. Hope it does.
Sorry I must have missed that detail. What’s a sliding contact? Never mind. Read the post. I got you know

Last edited:
D11D2E6A-8E18-4025-BB2F-0A8FED32D06B.jpeg
These are located in the hub of the reel to accommodate rolling of the reel with the center part wired to the static connections on the RV

Latest resources

Back