RV Make
Fleetwood
RV Model
Flair, 34R
RV Length
34'
Fulltimer
No
Doing the first oil change on this beast. Wow, so much room under that engine! Wish all my oil changes were this easy.

Any suggestions on a torque spec when putting the plug back on. In my searches, I'm seeing way to many varied opinions.
Does the fact that it's 18-ish years old change how I should torque it?

Not if a po didn't over torqued it.

I have never torqued an oil plug on any vehicle in over 50 years of driving - over a dozen and an half vehicles - most run over 100,000 miles. I just tighten until it doesn’t leak, and it is reasonably snug. I never had a problem. Never over tighten. One should be able to get it off with a normal socket wrench. I change oil on the MH once a year.

I have never torqued an oil plug on any vehicle in over 50 years of driving - over a dozen and an half vehicles - most run over 100,000 miles. I just tighten until it doesn’t leak, and it is reasonably snug. I never had a problem. Never over tighten. One should be able to get it off with a normal socket wrench. I change oil on the MH once a year.
You never used a torque wrench! But you still torqued it!

Not if a po didn't over torqued it.
Quite insightful! The previous owner said he did his own oil changes. When I went to get this bolt off it was VERY tight and tough to remove.
I decided I didn't want to do likewise.

Needing to finish this, I just hand tighten to a snug fit, then will keep an eye on any leakage. Which is easy to do since this vehicle sits so high.

Quite insightful! The previous owner said he did his own oil changes. When I went to get this bolt off it was VERY tight and tough to remove.
I decided I didn't want to do likewise.

Needing to finish this, I just hand tighten to a snug fit, then will keep an eye on any leakage. Which is easy to do since this vehicle sits so high.
No! No! No!!! You won't go very far with hand tightening before it works loose and you destroy the engine!

Install one of these and no more worries mate

We installed a Fumoto valve on the 2018 CanyonStar with the Ford V10. Worked well, made oil draining easy and avoid spills.

No! No! No!!! You won't go very far with hand tightening before it works loose and you destroy the engine!

Install one of these and no more worries mate

Oops, I miss-typed that. I didn't mean "hand tighten" as in with fingers, I meant tighten by hand with a regular wrench and not metered torque wrench, (or impact wrench).

Yeah, that would be dumb.

Latest resources

Back