• Commercial/Vendors welcome

7 antennas off - 2 on - here is what I did

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I haven't really used my Parsec Husky's to pull in Wi-Fi as typically my cellular is better and more secure. I'm at Freightliner Custom Chassis, Gaffney, SC and figured I'd give a try connecting to their public/open Wi-Fi from the parking lot. Typically it's too weak for most, unless they changed something since I heard that. But I'm happy to report the Parsec Husky does a great job pulling in wi-fi from the roof location and I was pulling over 50 down from the parking lot. While I haven't been overly pleased with the wi-fi transmit, mostly just from a poor location for my use, the receive side appears to be optimal.

At the start of this trip (July 1st) I had Wi-Fi broadcasting from Pepwave 1 via the Parsec Husky roof antenna. I was standing at my outdoor TV and couldn't get good Wi-Fi at one point and that was the final straw for me. I'm using the included antennas (paddles) for Wi-Fi on the Pepwave for transmit. Pepwave 2 is connected to Parsec's Wi-Fi on the roof for it which is the receive path for outside Wi-Fi sources such as campground, etc. I'm seeing great range even outside of the coach using the paddles, although I also have the AP One AX in the bedroom AV cabinet so that could be helping.

What I don't know is if there is a difference in antenna requirements for Wi-Fi 6 which the BR1 Pro 5G has. If the parsec wi-fi antennas are not compatible or optimized for Wi-Fi 6, if that is even a thing, it could be the reason. I don't know! But I'm done with using the Parsec for Wi-Fi broadcast from the roof, it has not been a good performer for me.

I bought on sale Pepwave 42G 7 in one, but have not installed it yet. Glad to hear some feedback on installing it.

We have the max duo transit, so NOT the latest 5G pepwave offering, coupled with the Parsec Husky antenna.

Our experience is similar to what you described - WiFi works better when using the paddles that come with the Pepwave, WiFi with the Husky had challenges.

Generally I have found the Pepwave to be ok, but every location requires work to “dial it in”. Need to scan to see what channels are being used on each WiFi band, which internet sources are available/best and what needs to be changed. Takes me a few days of tinkering before I consider it stable for work.

I use the husky parsec for its purpose of dealing with external signals. This is GPS, wifi from outside source, and cellular.

I use a separate access point for Lan purposes inside and around the coach.

I have had great results with this setup. I get 600Mb speeds from the Parsec when using WiFi6 Wan.

Another advantage is the range it gets far exceeds what I would have from inside the coach.

A lot of things come into play, but the biggest is the use of a ground plane. Also mounting it as far from other RF interference as possible is key.

Putting it on top of an AC shroud is guaranteed to cut performance due to RF interference.

Same goes for other antennas. Finding a sweet spot is difficult.

I have been very pleased with the 5G performance and WiFi performance of the Husky.

Attachments

• 20220425_193954.jpg
    20220425_193954.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 20220418_151443.jpg
    20220418_151443.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220418_153129.jpg
    20220418_153129.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220426_073610.jpg
    20220426_073610.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 20220426_073622.jpg
    20220426_073622.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
I've had amazing performance with INPUT. Cellular is amazing, Wi-Fi as WAN is amazing. No issues there at all. My issue is Wi-Fi broadcast (LAN) outbound ONLY. Pep1 is the broadcaster, Pep2 is for inbound. In the end, none of us really need to be broadcasting outside of the coach like this (that). We are helping the neighborhood keeping it in and around the coach. An AP behind the pegboard would be ideal for patio use. Hmmmm, yeah, no, not doing that. My setup is fine. Over driver's seat broadcast is giving me a great signal and my AP in the bedroom opposite patio though, is fine too. Starlink Wi-Fi is at the patio side for now, it's probably going to get permanently located in the cord reel with Wi-Fi disabled so I have a grommet access into a bay for the cable with a dishy on the roof. Oh the puzzles this creates for us....

Dropped WiFi again. Ugh.

Broadcasting outside and having it strong both inside and outside just allows me to use my WiFi wherever from walking the dog, outside at the bench etc. Guess paddle antennas going on WiFi in the morning.
Hmmmm, hadn't planned on putting Wifi outside, but now you have me rethinking. I was thinking about going with the Peplink 42g, but not use the Wifi (40g has no wifi, but am drawing a blank now, but there was something on the Cell side that the 42g was better about).

Will be curious what your results with Wifi inside are if you switch to the 42g

The Wi-Fi 6 is outstanding with the paddle antennas. I was thinking an hour ago about running an ethernet from over driver's seat to pegboard bay and putting an AP there then reminding myself I have full strength Wi-Fi there as is. It's a tinker problem! So as I've stated before, I will never get Wi-Fi on the roof again, cellular only antennas. Adding PoE access points is the better solution in my opinion. Throw one at the pegboard bay directed out at the patio if needed but it's not needed in my setup.

The Wi-Fi 6 is outstanding with the paddle antennas. I was thinking an hour ago about running an ethernet from over driver's seat to pegboard bay and putting an AP there then reminding myself I have full strength Wi-Fi there as is. It's a tinker problem! So as I've stated before, I will never get Wi-Fi on the roof again, cellular only antennas. Adding PoE access points is the better solution in my opinion. Throw one at the pegboard bay directed out at the patio if needed but it's not needed in my setup.
Yea, reading on in the thread, I got to that point. I was thinking at the place I just got a lease (hour away, local lake), having it on the roof could be nice where I walk the dog (crappy cell reception), but I'll probably stick with my original plan of not putting wifi up there. On this lease, I will be adding a deck, and my sister will have a few fifth wheels, so if I want more coverage, another option would be a repeater mounted/powered on the deck, which should pick up my wifi and repeat. Will see once they setup their fifth wheels and we have the decks in place.

Latest resources

Back