RV Model
250RDS
RV Length
32.25'
TOW/TOAD
2015 Ford F-350
Fulltimer
No
Every time I visit here I am greeted by multiple threads asking about tow capacity, trailer weights, and help determining how much weight the OP can safely tow. It seems, in my limited experience, that many of these questions come from people who have already purchased their tow vehicle. In many cases this significantly reduces their safe options for both trailer and truck payload - i.e. do we take firewood or the kids?! I think that those inquiring are often disappointed to find that they are far more limited by their "big" new truck than they anticipate - more so when the details of stopping, sway, and weight come to light.

So, I'm just asking for a sort of, "How has your tow vehicle choice evolved"? That is... what size trailer do you tow? Would you chose a larger or smaller tow vehicle (or trailer) next time? How comfortable is your tow configuration? Did you do a lot of research? I'm just trying to get some idea of how well most of use did making our first choices - and how successfully we've evolved.

As an example, my story: I started with a 5 liter V8 F-150 and a 27' Komfort (salesman assured me...). It was set-up properly and the V8 was more than adequate to pull. Over time, I realized the truck was too lite. Wind, braking, sway, and to a lesser degree trailer loading were issues and I was rarely comfortable in less than ideal conditions. Eventually upgraded to a one-ton and - world of difference - trailer ceased to be a concern in any conditions. I've upgraded to a 32ft and the only concern I have is remembering there's a trailer behind me!

I love the setup I currently have and would not change a thing; well, I might consider a 3/4 ton for the cost. All said, the my current setup is outstanding it pulls, stops, turns, and responds with sure authority in every circumstance.

How is yours?

Last edited:
My experience is pretty much like yours. Started with a F-150 and an 16’ trailer; it was adequate, but not great. When ready to move up to a 22’ trailer, I considered a 3/4-ton F-250 gasser but decided that the one-ton F-350 diesel was a better choice. That worked out well because it wasn’t long before we went to a 35’ 5th wheel and the 3/4-ton just would not have cut it. With the F-350, I never felt pushed around by the bigger 5th wheel and had plenty of power in the mountains. We’ve now gone to a motorhome and the learning curve started all over again but the lessons learned earlier were still applicable.

I am saddened when I see all the folks having to learn the hard way that a 1/2-ton truck isn’t the right tool for towing anything but a very small, very light trailer. And, what saddens me even more are the uninformed folks who keep insisting that their half-ton truck “will pull anything.” As you…and, I…discovered, it isn’t about how much you can pull on your way out of the dealer’s lot, it is about how much you can safely handle in less-than-perfect conditions.

TJ

Most people listen to either a dealer salesperson or their friends who also toss Budweiser cans in the air while five shooters surround them in a circle with a 12 gauge to shoot the can! LOL

Don’t get me wrong…..I too researched tow vehicles and while I knew a SUV type was out I did look to truck options for the size RV we wanted. I highly looked and considered the F-150 Eco-Boost turbo with maximum tow package and watched many a video with people towing. What sold me on a Superduty was simply if I wanted to go a bit bigger. Didn’t go diesel as not really needed unless I wanted to tow a land yacht, which I do not. But a smaller 5’er or large TT is not out of the question. I opted Godzilla power of a 7.3 and it has been great.

So, why do people go the way they do then second guess their choice? Economics sometimes…….in other words, all they may have budget for. I however laugh my butt off when people say I am getting a Porsche Cayenne and will be pulling a 20’ and the weight is within spec’s! Really??? I don’t care what you see as a spec, a Porsche is not for the duty of pulling a RV unless it is truly a popup or very small pull behind. Then I suspect the transmission in those will suffer long term.

But that is the beauty of it all and this free country we live, well, free in thought in the meantime, it allows you to do whatever you wish even if it’s quite stupid to the rest of us.

I just hate when people ask for guidance then buy what they intended the whole time after repetitively advised by others not to. But once again…..it’s Merica folks!

Just a word on gas vs diesel: we lived in the Mountain West and towed primarily in that region, so diesel power was our choice to get over those 8K’ passes. A properly chosen gas truck will do fine in most circumstances as well. Our experience has just been that when you need good torque at high elevations, diesel worked best for us.

TJ

I read the info here and other sites. Talked to friends who were into ATVs. Bought a 32 foot toy hauler and a toy.
went right to a 1 ton SRW diesel. Now I have a 12K lb 5th wheel, same truck.

Maybe there should be a towing section where people can post facts about there success and failures with a given tow scenario. Often until it’s been done no one knows. And just beca you have towed x with y and you got there doesn’t mean it’s ok was it a white knuckle ride. Its incre the number of things I see being towed by vehicles that are clearly not enough tow vehicle.

I own four trucks and tow a variety of trailers and loads one is an actual flat bed roll back F550. Another example of a vehicle barely capable of doing the job. The truck unloaded weights 15,500 pounds with a fuel tank chains and fuel. It specs at 19,600 pound actual gvw on the wheels I’m overloaded with any pick up that’s not a half a half a truck.

one vehicle that I own that is impressive is a 2018 GMC Canyon diesel it’s tow capacity it pretty high 7600 pounds I think. my dump trailers it’s common load at 7000 to 8000 pounds it will handle this trailer well enough to consider a long trip it’s got air bags as well. Trailer is short and very stabile. I towed a prime time 29 foot travel trailer 90 miles last week with it just to see I’m guessing it was just under 7000 pounds. Up to 55 mph it was decent braking was fine made lane changes on a worn out highway in the wind fine had an andersen sway control hitch Bags at 100 psi. At 60 mph and higher sway was not bad but was for sure something I wouldn’t concider doing a cross country trip if the roads I was on would require going above 60. and really it was because it required constant attention. I have pulled a 5500 pound 24 foot travel trailer over the mountain With it and would do that cross country. While I haven’t checked mileage on a longer trip my mpg indicator showed 20 mpg with the 29 foot trailer on the 90 mile trip. If that is the case its worth thinking about longer trips if you can stay under 60 and I really want to state at 55 in a 25 plus mph wind it handled this load well. Something I doubt your average half ton truck would from what I’ve read here.

I will say my 19 crew cab duramax dually drags the 29 foot travel trailer like it isn’t there. I ran through Boise at rush hour with the andersen hitch i literally forget there’s a trailer back there if it’s not a fairly steep hill. Even at 80 mph. Which is not the case with my boat. The boat and trailer easily exceed 12,000 pounds and its about 38 feet long tongue to props and 12 feet high. its stable but I’m 9’ 6” wide you have to be on your A game in heavy traffic regardless. I did get to test emergency lane changes and braking in it last summer. I can state with some accuracy that this truck will stop straight in a full on life or death scenario. I put all twelve tires in a full lock up while veering out of my lane off the highway and into the grass and probably saved lives. The Moran that almost created a head on collision in high traffic managed to wiggle out of everyone’s way because I left the highway.I doubt many tow rigs would have handled this.. I was preparing to Jack knife roll over and crash into trees instead I merged back into my line and watched the line of cars behind me doing the same I really can’t picture anything as bad as this could have been coming out with no contact. My point here is if a dually is in your comfort zone you may come to find it is worth the costs and inconvenience of dealing with an extra pair of tires hanging wide out back. I know I’m sold.

I am surprised that the new half tons really have such low tow capacities when the canyon or colorado is much higher at least in the diesel with the factory tow package. I cant see owning a half ton truck if your doing any regular towing because of that. My buddies new half ton dodge is like 5500 pounds we hauled a load of plywood for him last week because his truck couldn’t handle it.

Yes, the 1/2 ton trucks don't deliver near the power the commercials seem to infer. Even when specs seem to indicate they can pull it, they're not nearly as capable of stopping it as the "pull" numbers imply. Further, I read here where many (myself included) upgrade to bigger, heavier trailers as they develop a taste for travel. This leaves you even more vulnerable than before! Or, obligated to purchase a bigger, more powerful tow vehicle to pull you upgraded trailer... there goes the travel budget.

While it's a short list, perhaps it will grow. Overall it seems that trucks need to be heavier for two reasons: First, most tend to under-estimate the capability of 1/2 ton trucks and, second, it seems that a large percentage (of our small sample) tend to upgrade their trailer. With that in mind, maybe it makes more sense to buy too much truck with your first trailer?

You really need to hook your expected size and weight trailer up and drag one over the mountain to have a clue. Which is hard to do from a dealers lot before you buy one.

If you really want to get into overrated vehicles look at RVs half of them are over GVW specs before the owner even puts fuel in it. Let alone the thought that you want that GVW to be worst case scenario not the starting point before you throw gear water fuel and people in one. And the other 50% are close to rated GVW I look at RVs like satin put them on the road especially when one comes whipping by me at 85 MPH

Some day theres going to be a few Electric trucks available when they hit 500 mile ranges its going to be a game changer. Might have to be some changes to the charging stations to accommodate a row of trucks with one trailers in A parking lot wanting a pull through charge station with room to open up the slides and take a nap or watch a. Movie while its charging. But theres going to have to be solutions if they expect to sell a lot of $100,000 plus trucks.

Latest resources

Back