• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

MAB

RVF Newbee
Hello,
New member here! I’m having a problem with the a/c unit on the roof of our 2010 ERA. It’s a Colman Mach air xcel. When I turn it on when connected to shore power it immediately trips the breaker. If I’m running the generator and turn the a/c on it immediately shuts the generator down! I’m thinking this could be a capacitor issue but that is the guess of a novice! All thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

Welcome to RVF!

We recently had a similar problem. Ours was a failed compressor that was locked up. When it tried to start, the amperage increased to the trip point. In our case, the load shedding system dropped it out rather than popping the breaker, but the result was the same. We are still awaiting the arrival of a replacement AC.

Since the symptoms can be the same, you might get lucky and find that just replacing the starting capacitor might be all that’s necessary. If you plan to replace the capacitor yourself, be very careful. Even a failed starting capacitor can retain a lethal electrical charge. Unless you are experienced with working with that kind of stuff, let a qualified technician replace it.

TJ

Welcome to RVF!

We recently had a similar problem. Ours was a failed compressor that was locked up. When it tried to start, the amperage increased to the trip point. In our case, the load shedding system dropped it out rather than popping the breaker, but the result was the same. We are still awaiting the arrival of a replacement AC.

Since the symptoms can be the same, you might get lucky and find that just replacing the starting capacitor might be all that’s necessary. If you plan to replace the capacitor yourself, be very careful. Even a failed starting capacitor can retain a lethal electrical charge. Unless you are experienced with working with that kind of stuff, let a qualified technician replace it.

TJ
Thanks for your response and the advice. I’ll definitely be careful!

Hello,
New member here! I’m having a problem with the a/c unit on the roof of our 2010 ERA. It’s a Colman Mach air xcel. When I turn it on when connected to shore power it immediately trips the breaker. If I’m running the generator and turn the a/c on it immediately shuts the generator down! I’m thinking this could be a capacitor issue but that is the guess of a novice! All thoughts and ideas are appreciated.
This is a easy fix !!!!!
Micro-Air Easy Starts work fantastic for this issue. Super easy to install!!!!
Your welcome

This is a easy fix !!!!!
Micro-Air Easy Starts work fantastic for this issue. Super easy to install!!!!
Your welcome
If the compressor is failed, this will not fix it.

I do highly recommend an easy start for every air conditioner in every situation.

I think the fan motor starts first, than after short delay, the compressor. If the breaker kicks off right away, the fan motor could have seized, which is easier and cheaper to fix.

Latest resources

Back