• Commercial/Vendors welcome

A concept Tesla super C electric motorhome. It’s purdy. 😊

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I like the concept of a “cleaner” potential energy source for RV propulsion. Yes, there is a bunch more work to be done to improve the impacts in manufacture of the energy systems. But we need dreams and concepts to create a vision that we can aim for. May need to change direction along the way as we learn what works and what doesn’t work.
Keep dreaming and innovating.

No doubt a manufacturers' chosen energy source and the ability to distribute it is huge. Heating oil (diesel for all intents and purpose) is trading at $3.16/gallon right now, gasoline at $2.33/gallon and propane at $0.71/gallon. Propane offers less energy per gallon than diesel or gas but the price more than makes up for the lesser energy density. Distribution is the problem and the volitility thing doesn't help. If those were both addressed and manufacturers were selling as many propane powered road going vehicles as they are diesel & gas, the demand would be higher and so would the commodity price.

People have gotten really, really good at not long term planning from finances years down the road (fewer here given $$ dumped into non-necessities) to when they'll need to stop and fuel up tens of miles down the road. Readily available gas & diesel have fueled this (pun intended) and EV range anxiety is a thing, less so for those who plan.

The technology is promising, human willingness to change (mine included) is a major obstacle and layers upon layers of red tape from every level of government imaginable is daunting. The future is looking interesting to say the least, whether or not I like it will have zero bearing on what happens, the same applies to many others.

It’s actually based on a Tesla semi so typical recharge time is 45 minutes. Unfortunately the only 5 megachargers in existence are either at Pepsi/dorito ware houses or the Nevada semi factory.
As a former Electronics Engineer, I'd be very surprised that you could change a bank of batteries that quickly without them getting very, very hot. Pretty much what you see today, EV batteries being over charged/charged too quickly and bursting into flames. I'll pass.

As a former Electronics Engineer, I'd be very surprised that you could change a bank of batteries that quickly without them getting very, very hot. Pretty much what you see today, EV batteries being over charged/charged too quickly and bursting into flames. I'll pass.
Hard to say although Pepsi does it everyday with their fleet. And I think those numbers were quoted as 20 to 90 percent recharge so a full recharge would be longer although I doubt they do that very much.

There is an article that touches on Pepsi’s depot recharge regimen. Most routes (if not all) are depot to depot. Which makes sense as that is the only place they currently have megachargers other than the factory. Won’t be charging up a motorhomes there anytime soon. 😂

IMG_5376.png

You can't . . . . . . without liquid cooling them. So they are liquid cooled, this is elementary thermodynamics.

Down the road a bit......my version of a "bit" is never. But never say never, lets just say you or I won't live to see it. Not saying much at my age...lol.

Latest resources

Back