Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
6.7 ISB 360/800
TOW/TOAD
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Fulltimer
No
These came in the mail today and Ill get out there and see what you can get out of each and their associated apps. as soon as possible. Diesel Decoder will also connect to OBD2 which is nice since none of my other code readers will communicate with my 2017 F250 6.7 for some reason. Not even my Mac tools smog shop code reader.

So…..I should have some useful info tonight or tomorrow. Currently Im only using OTR diagnostics (and was a Beta tester on version 2.0) so I have a good diagnostics program to compare it too. After this I might go in for a Diesel Laptops-Cummins Insite level set up - depends on what I get out of these new toys. But Im determined to take
F73C3B2E-4930-4A1F-BB4F-368E63262C82.jpeg
control of my emissions systems. So far OTR has been a very worthwhile investment, saving me about three times the investment, but I want to compare data with other sources.

Keep us posted on what you are able to achieve.

Just got through with an initial test and comparison.

1. NEXIQ Blue-link mini and First Link app: Code reader and very basic parameter monitor only. Provides a “snapshot” of a very limited but useful list of parameters, but no live data. No command capability. Does not clear fault codes. I think the blue tooth gizmo can be used with a laptop and pruchased software but that wasn't the purpose of this purchase. I’ll check into that more before I send it back. Did not read my 17 F250 diesel when plugged into a OBD2 adapter.

Edit: just talked to tech support - this item communicates with the First Link app only and has no other uses. So it goes back.

2. Dorman Diesel Decoder and Diesel Decoder App: Reads codes and parameters and has live data. This is nice and it seems to read EVERY parameter which could be useful but you have to page through hundreds of lines to get to the specific readings. Also no command capability. Clears inactive fault codes. I didn’t have any active fault codes (and didn't feel like creating any) so I don’t know if will clear active fault codes, which would just re-appear until addressed anyway. Did not read the F250 with the adapted supplied but I may not have given it enough time. Of the two this one seems more useful.

3. OTR - I connected this again to compare readings which was the point of this exercise. All readings were consistent with the others which makes sense and doesnt really tell me anything, but there it is. OTR provides easy to read live data of the pertinent emissions parameters and other essential data. Also has emissions commands beyond just forced (parked) regen which is why I spent $600 on it. That works nicely, but as most people have figured out, it wont override a de-rate unless the problem that caused it has been resolved, at which point it should resolve anyway after half a dozen ignition cycles.

So if you are on a budget and want to be able to read fault codes on your phone or tablet, the NEXIQ set up would be ok, but at $123 I might just opt for cheaper a plug in code reader, unless I had other uses for a blue tooth connection to my J1939 port. Right now I don‘t. For $236 you can get the Diesel Decoder and benefit from hundreds of parameters (most of them useless but interesting), and live data. Combine either of these with the shorting plug and you have limited control over your system.

Lastly, for you Freightliner owners, I found the “shorting plug”. Its right next to the J1939 port and has a label that says “REGEN”! I guess I wasn't being very observant until now.

Shorting plug instructions: http://www.ourmotorhome.net/2017/docs/DPF_Regen_instructions.pdf

Attachments

• A94C7A2E-7ACB-4E07-84EE-25E4E052A2EF.jpeg
    A94C7A2E-7ACB-4E07-84EE-25E4E052A2EF.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 10
One advantage of the Diesel Decoder (other than price) is that it is blue tooth only and the app doesnt require an internet connection to run. So while it doesnt have the ability to issues commands, it can be used for diagnostics anywhere, unlike OTR which does have emissions commands but the ap requires an internet connection. It also seems to have EVERY parameter, which can be cumbersome, but is interesting and it makes it a better diagnostic tool than OTR.

I used them both on a 350 mile test ride yesterday under various conditions, and naturally they both agreed on every parameter they both show. The Diesel Decoder is slower to load but the net result is the same for both for code reading, and DD displays all the hundreds parameters that the ECM and PCM use, which explains the delay. OTR shows about 20 key parameters.

Latest resources

Back