• Commercial/Vendors welcome

A day from hell

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I take a look-see on Google Earth, also, before venturing onto unknown routes. I kid you not, one route that was plotted for us in north Texas, ended up being nothing more than a meandering cow trail, and definitely never reached the destination before it petered out.
If the google car has never been down a certain road (and it hadn’t - I had to look at it in 2D) then I KNOW our rig probably has no business on it. ?
That’s actually a really good idea. In Google Maps, you can drag the little StreetView man over a map and drop him onto a spot to see the StreetView. However, while you’re holding him the over the map before you drop him, the streets where StreetView is available will get a blue outline. If your GPS route is telling you to go down a road where there is no StreetView, it’s either really new, or really bad.

Glad you are okay @Neal. There just isn't enough tequila for that trip.

I pulled some dashcam videos but I don't have the bandwidth here to upload them. Will do after I return the end of the month unless therapist says otherwise.

That’s actually a really good idea. In Google Maps, you can drag the little StreetView man over a map and drop him onto a spot to see the StreetView. However, while you’re holding him the over the map before you drop him, the streets where StreetView is available will get a blue outline. If your GPS route is telling you to go down a road where there is no StreetView, it’s either really new, or really bad.
yes, i know. ? I also use Google earth to check out RV parks.... I like to look around at the neighborhood where they are located. But on roads I like to check and see how much shoulder they have ...and what condition it’s in.

Neal, sorry to hear about your experience. That’s one of the biggest fears we have. I’m glad you got it all worked out.

Driving into the Promise Land State Park on Sunday the road was so narrow we had to drive on the side of the road to get by oncoming traffic. It was not fun.

It’s not enough to ask if they can handle big rigs .... we now ask how many big rigs they currently have. In this case .... NONE. ?

Thank goodness I’m only 37’ long.

Good Lord!! That sounds pretty tough. Glad the outcome was good.

My very first trip in our 40' diesel pusher with the wife was kinda like that. We were going to a campground in Pigeon Forge, TN. We had never been there before. The GPS decided to take us on the SHORTEST route. This took us off the interstate and up over a mountain. I was very familiar with this route since I have ridden my motorcycle this way many times. However, just before we got to Pigeon Forge, the GPS told us to take a turn to get to the campground on a road I had never been on before. It was a VERY narrow 2 lane going around the side of a mountain with the holler (valley) about 300 ft. below us with no guard rail. As we came around the curve on this narrow back road we met a Wal-Mart tractor trailer. He was obviously following his GPS like we were. We both STOPPED in the middle of the road and just looked at each other!! I had only driven our RV one time before and I honestly didn't think we could pass. But he started inching forward so I figured I would too. Our mirrors were less than an inch apart when we passed. He was sweating as badly as I was. My wife was in a panic!!! As we pulled into the campground and got out of the RV still shaking the owner of the campground took one look at us and said "You came in the back way didn't ya?" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

A 1 minute segment from my dashcam of me getting out of the road area I should never have been on. Two way road, some shoulders were eroded and dropped off (not in this video). Joy...

@Neal that’s a walking trail at best not a road. You are a brave person.

Latest resources

Back