A motorhome destroyed

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Always bow into the wind...

I just started carrying a wind instrument (left over from my sailing days) on this trip, more out of curiosity than concern, and recorded some interesting numbers during “wind events’ in the desert near the Salton Sea, but never actually considered the possibility of being blown over while parked.

The moral to to this story is obviously to park parallel to the wind direction, rather than perpendicular when things get ugly, but it would be interesting (helpful) to know how much wind it took to blow over a parked 43’ Dutch Star.
We were in Amherst, Nova Scotia during hurricane Fiona. The winds were reported to have been gusts to 100 MPH. We are a 28 foot Class A (GVWR 16,000 lbs )and I can assure you that, with levelers down and slides in, we were severely rocked that night. We purposely chose to park our rig as far away from trees as possible thus there was no shelter (and less chance of debris damage). Our coach and Jeep survived undamaged. I have to guess that had to have been one heck of a strong micro burst to push over a 47,000 lb 43 footer.

Big storm came through Oshkosh, WI the day before the EAA AirVenture airshow (July 2022) which actually flipped some planes. Gusts up to 60 mph and I was wondering if my coach would remain upright during that. I was more concerned with javelins coming through the side of my coach from campground stuff and flags people put out and obviously don't stow for storms.

Latest resources

Back