A motorhome destroyed

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
This is a truly frightening story. Our Motorhome was Destroyed
I've experienced nightmares with a totalled TT in the past and nothing is more stressful. Mine happened in Skagway Alaska with no help for 105 miles in Whitehorse. I traveled the same route as you and had 75 mph cross winds. Finally found a place to get off the highway. I think the only thing that saved us is I backed into the wind. Hang in there.

Yikes! Sorry to hear you went through all of that. Very scary.

This is a truly frightening story. Our Motorhome was Destroyed
We frequently stay at Cheyenne Mountsin State Park, known for its sudden high winds. (we DIDN'T know about its 'known for high winds' reputation, in our early rv'g days). During one of our first visits a few years ago, a storm blew down from the mountain the first night. We were parked crosswise to the mountain - we were too ignorant to realize the real danger. Our little 30,000 pound motorhome was shuddering in some strong winds that night (maybe 40-50 mph? we don't know) and we considered abandoning it and heading down to the park showers/RRs. The especially bad thing: we'd have been blown down a steep hill toward that building if we'd gone over, and it was a good 20-foot down. These days I check the weather forecasts more often.

I just started carrying a wind instrument (left over from my sailing days) on this trip, more out of curiosity than concern, and recorded some interesting numbers during “wind events’ in the desert near the Salton Sea, but never actually considered the possibility of being blown over while parked.

The moral to to this story is obviously to park parallel to the wind direction, rather than perpendicular when things get ugly, but it would be interesting (helpful) to know how much wind it took to blow over a parked 43’ Dutch Star.

I have one of these on the roof of my coach. Liked it so much put one on the roof of my house.

I have one of these on the roof of my coach. Liked it so much put one on the roof of my house.

@Neal ... when you travel do you have to lock it down or does everything just spin and turn freely?

FLSteve :unsure:

It spins as if it's wind speed.

It's cool as I can view the info on my phone when not at the coach so I can see temps, wind, etc.

Latest resources

Back