• Commercial/Vendors welcome

AC making thumping noise

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Yup! I know a lot of people with these and no one is complaining.
I like 1800EP too, but can't find it locally. Will keep looking. Thank you all for trying to help.

I used it to get to the top of my windshield to install @J&JD's gutter mod.
Did you lean it against the windshield? I have always been afraid to do that, with all of the windshield leak stories out there.

Hi Neal. My question is: When you prop the ladder to the side of the coach, does it stick a little above? It helps when you are trying to get down.

I do not extend it above. I put the noodle across the top step of the ladder and lean it just below the roof. I see it from on the roof. I kneel on the roof, facing away from the ladder of course, and extend one foot to the second rung from the top. Theme climb down. This way I don't have to step around the ladder to mount it, and minimize the chances of side to side motion of the ladder.

Oh yeah. A spotter is always recommended. I generally don't have that option. Be careful!

Last edited:
This morning early I gathered all my bravery, and took my 250 lb carcas on top of the DS, using my brand new 18' TeleStep ladder. Opened and inspected the #1 AC. Looks like the bearings on the electric motor of the blower are going bad. It starts if I push it with my finger, and then makes more noise compared to the other AC. Took photo of the label, and will look for replacement. Two AC's don't cut it at temps over 100F here in Las Vegas.
Now about the ladder:
Thank you skychs and Neal for suggesting the 1800EP . I like it. Very well made, and fits in front of the generator.
What I learned is, not to extend more than one section above the coach. I had two, and was difficult to step on the roof, having to move around the two sections.
Prop the ladder between the two extended slides. Gives you some side protection, and option to step on the slide or grab on to one in case of a screw up.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_a9b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_a9b.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • fullsizeoutput_a91.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_a91.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 17
Now the bad news. Can not find a motor anywhere. When they told me it is 8 weeks waiting time for parts, I thought they were coming on the "slow boat from China".
I was right. They come from China, and no one has them? Not even a repair kit to replace the bearings (most likely bushings).

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_a9f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_a9f.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Can you find an electric motor shop nearby? They'd likely be able to rebuild your existing motor.

TJ

Can you find an electric motor shop nearby? They'd likely be able to rebuild your existing motor.

TJ
I thought about it, but the way we are in the move, I will wait to get back home in FL to deal with it.
next week will be at Flagstaff AZ where it is cooler .

UPDATE:
Last week, I decided to revisit my AC problem. Dragged my carcass back on the roof and dug some deeper into it.
Noticed the motor will not kick in at all. Just the compressor. Opened the cover of the electronics box, and traced the fan motor wires to the capacitor. VOILA! The top of the large aluminum capacitor was bulged up. You see the one on the left is the old one. Had hard time finding the right replacement, but I did, and now we are back to two out of 3 working AC’s.
Will tackle #2 after the surgery.
4AE9A9D1-3FE4-4065-9889-E33D5A82339C.jpeg

Glad you got one fixed? what are you having fixed physically? Hope all goes well.

Latest resources

Back