Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Old but New

RVF Newbee
Planning a trip to the NE from Nashville TN. Looking for info on best routing and RV sites in the Acadia National Park in ME. Any suggestions for stops along the way would be appreciated.

Best route is 40 to 81 to 84 all the way to the Mass pike(90) use 290 to cut across to 495 and hit 95 up the coast of Maine all the way to Bangor and take 395 to route 1A into Ellsworth and route 3 down to the Island. Former Mainer for 52 years, driven this route many times over the last 10 years. Many people say to take 78 thru Allentown, Pa but I like to stay off the coast and its traffic. As to campgrounds, as a native I avoided the Island like the plague, to many people and their campers. Ellsworth can be a real mess but if you come in on 1A it is a straight shot thru town. Hang a left on route 1 and drive or another 1.5 hours and you will get to my home area. It is the real Maine but camping sites are sparse.

Best route is 40 to 81 to 84 all the way to the Mass pike(90) use 290 to cut across to 495 and hit 95 up the coast of Maine all the way to Bangor and take 395 to route 1A into Ellsworth and route 3 down to the Island. Former Mainer for 52 years, driven this route many times over the last 10 years. Many people say to take 78 thru Allentown, Pa but I like to stay off the coast and its traffic. As to campgrounds, as a native I avoided the Island like the plague, to many people and their campers. Ellsworth can be a real mess but if you come in on 1A it is a straight shot thru town. Hang a left on route 1 and drive or another 1.5 hours and you will get to my home area. It is the real Maine but camping sites are sparse.
Many thanks for the follow up. I've been plotting and planning and your assistance was appreciated. We have a daughter who has property in Bangor and we planning a trip out there to visit. Want to camp along the way and Acadia seemed to get the most press. Any camping area close to Bangor not in Acadia worthy of exploring? I don't particularly care for the crowds either.

There are many campgrounds along the coast as the tourism to Acadia has been increasing over the years. I am sure there are plenty around Bangor but I am not familiar as I did not "go camping" when I was a Mainah. Living was a form of camping down in Washington County. The increase in volume of people going camping would have me say you should try to book well in advance. It is a seasonal thing up there and I am not sure the campgrounds have expanded enough to satisfy the need.

A couple nice parks near ANP and right on the water:

I had a reservation in the NP but cancelled (it seemed like it was completely packed and didn't look enjoyable) and camped in both of the above and just drove to the park for day use.

Then on Down East to several more places of interest along the coast and stayed in Lubec and East Port. Then we turned north following the New Brunswick border (Canada was still closed) to Fort Kent, and then back towards civilization through central Maine - quite an interesting and enjoyable experience.

Ah, you saw the real Maine. Long after its heyday. I was born in Lubec, ME.

Ah, you saw the real Maine. Long after its heyday. I was born in Lubec, ME.
We took a month to just explore and enjoy. We spend a lot of time in NH about nine miles from the Maine border so we get to visit quite a bit when we’re in the neighborhood. Maine is on my top 5 list of favorite states. Maybe even top 3.

Latest resources

Back