Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Advice on Multiple See Level Tank Monitors?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

MapNerd

RVF 1K Club
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4326
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Ford F-150
Fulltimer
Yes
So getting ready to tear into my wetbay pretty soon to install the whole-coach RO system. While I'm in there, I am planning to also install a See-Level tank monitoring system. Specifically, this one. I know quite a few folks have done See Level installs and it seems relatively straight forward, except I would like to have a monitor both in the wetbay as well as another in the coach up at the front, where the rest of the monitors are.

Has anyone done a dual monitor install? Also, I feel like I recall reading that the See Level monitors might be sensitive to long wire runs, in which case my in-coach monitor probably couldn't go in the cabinet over the driver's seat.

I have a dual monitor install. I recommend the Bluetooth model in the wet bay, problem is availability. I'm not sure if Garnet is still producing them, they stopped for a while and I thought they were back. I suggest contacting RVUpgradeStore and see what they say.

Garnet 709-BTP3 SeeLevel II Tank Monitoring System with Bluetooth

You have to be vary careful what your second monitor is due to compatibility. Read the product description carefully and also Q/A area. Here is my secondary monitor:

I recommend installing your sensor strips next to where Newmar installed them due to tank design. Read the Garnet instructions CAREFULLY!

This system works GREAT, I love mine!

I was able to talk to Gabe at Garnett over email and he indicated that the Bluetooth monitor is not currently available. He said they were upgrading the hardware and firmware and doesn’t have an idea when they will be back. As for the system itself, he seemed very aloof about what I need and asked if my coach had a multiplex, I told him I have a KIB and he said that he thought that wasn’t a multiplex and pointed me to the 709-P3 system I was originally looking at.

Any thoughts from the wiser ones here? I dont really even understand why question of whether or not I have a multiplex matters. Is it so that the SeeLevel tank strips can send their readings to the monitor already installed above the driver’s seat? That’s the only logical reason I can come up with and that would be cool and eliminate the need for a second monitor. I dont expect that to be the case though.

The question is why do you care about Multiplex? Why are you bringing that up? Are you trying to tie into something in your coach or are you adding a completely separate and isolated system? SeeLevel uses RVC in some products which is a protocol for tying into certain buses/networks but I don't see you doing that, that would be a case for replacing whatever SilverLeaf or some other system is using for your SeeLevel setup. I believe what you want is a main SeeLevel setup in your wet bay then adding one of the "monitor only" products as I described paying careful attention on compatibility between the two monitors. One "monitor only" option is cheaper, I got it and learned it doesn't play well with my bluetooth setup. I know they've been "down" on the bluetooth for a while and I'm not sure why as it worked well. You may want to contact Garnett again and ask if they have any bluetooth models of the older style you could buy from them or even a refurb, it works fine so I don't know what problems they were having unless their bluetooth spec got too far out of date and that made them stop? I don't know, not a BT expert.

Moral is, don't overcomplicate this. Very simple setup and wiring.

I would ask about the new firmware. Like Neal, I have the original Bluetooth model. When I saw the reps at a FMCA rally...I explained they had really missed out. Yes...it has Bluetooth. But nothing in thier implementation allows you to control the monitor thru the app. For example...if you wanted to set a Gray tank alarm for 80%...it is a ridiculous series of pushing buttons on the monitor panel. NOT intuitive. They should have incorporated it into the app.

If they are busy adding user control thru the app...I would recommend waiting for it. It will be awesome!!!

If your wet bay is situated under the FWS, like ours...then you know how fun it is to climb under there while the coach is parked, slide extended. Adding remote or better yet, wireless operated Autodrain valves is fantastic. If the Garnett app allowed you to set alarms for Battery, Gray, Black, or Fresh water levels...either high level or low level...you could for example set an alarm to tell you when Fresh reaches 95%...when filling for a dry camp trip. Or set it to 10% declining when draining tanks for annual sanitizing. How about flushing the black tank...set an alarm each time the black reaches 15%...so you can open the valve again...letting the tank partially fill to help flush stuff out. Or Gray tank reaching 80% when doing laundry or people tanking showers. It would be such a great tool.

As far as multiple displays...the Bluetooth version only needs the panel in the wetbay. You can check levels from any smartphone or tablet that you've added the APP to. No need to place an additional monitor panel anywhere.

I do hope they listened and implement the value added features it should be capable of. If you can find a manual for the original Bluetooth version...I ask that you take a glimpse at the steps required to set an alarm. It's like putting a rotary dial interface on a new iPad.

If they implement user interface vs blind monitoring thru the app...I will upgrade immediately to the New Version.

Thanks for the response @Neal . I completely agree and am trying to keep it simple. I didn’t bring up multiplex at all, Garnett did when I reached out to them to confirm that I was looking at the right system. Gabe from Garnett asked if I had a multiplex, I didn’t think I did but honestly I can barely spell multiplex so I wanted to confirm and checked with Newmar, they said I have a KIB system.

I forwarded that response back to Garnett and they said they didn’t think KIB was a multiplex system and told me that assuming that was correct, I was already looking at the right system.

What no one (Newmar or Garnett) has ever said (nor did I ask until now) is why it even matters if I have a multiplex. I dont have any desire to get into the complicated realms of a multiplex system and I didn’t know why they would ask me such a thing. The only rationale I could come up with as to why Garnett might have asked me if I had a multiplex was if by chance it were a simple matter of splicing and connecting some wires to make the SeeLevel readings show up in my touchscreen tank panel over the driver’s seat, negating the need for a second monitor.

If it weren’t, I’d ignore it.

@Chuggs that is good advice. I will ask Gabe at Garnett if he can share any info about what exactly they are “upgrading” and why. When I first read about dumping the tanks remotely, I remember thinking to myself “how lazy can we be”, but you know, four months into this thing and I’m really sick of crouching under the FWS even though I’m still a young man and I get really annoyed if its raining or cold out. So the remote dump switches are on the list of things to do at some point. I think I’m going to move on with my wet bay and come back to the SeeLevel stuff when I have a better grip on it. I wanted to do it all at once but I’ve designed my new bay setup in a way that will let me easily get to the tanks and behind the panel so a SeeLevel install down the road should be pretty easy.

Post coming in the next few weeks or so about that endeavor.

I really hope that Garnett does a good job with the next generation of Bluetooth integration...and get's it out to everyone soon. Prior to the Bluetooth option...I do believe many folks added the Monitor to their Wet Bay panel...and an optional display to replace their DigiLevel display. Able to actually use the wiring from the DigiLevel system.

The Bluetooth option, to me, meant not having to scrap my DigiLevel. I truly rely on it...mostly for looking at the Voltage Page... For example...this morning I looked up and saw the House at 13.4v...and the Chassis at 13.4v. Good to know the Bi-directional relay is working, right? Secondly, no mater what type of monitor system you use...there are always going to be the extraneous wierd data reading. Something that just doesn't seem right. Having the SeeLevel II and the DigiLevel both...allows me a chance to cross reference and check for reasonableness. I like having two independent sources of data for this reason. Yes...the 1/3, 2/3, Full is sometimes almost worthless for management purposes...but it's useful on those rare occasions where See Level II is suddenly showing Black at 70% which you can't explain...and the DigiLevel is reading 1/3. A few hours later...See Level has regained is't composure and is reading 22%...

With the See Level II bluetooth app...I pull the Tank Level reading up in split-screen mode...with my Sonoff Wireless app... This allows me to control the dump valves and see the results on the same screen. Usually, sitting on the sofa with a nice espresso in hand. Yep... No bending down, in the cold/rain, gravel in knees, wearing funny butyl gloves... LIFE IS GOOD!!!

The question is why do you care about Multiplex? Why are you bringing that up? Are you trying to tie into something in your coach or are you adding a completely separate and isolated system? SeeLevel uses RVC in some products which is a protocol for tying into certain buses/networks but I don't see you doing that, that would be a case for replacing whatever SilverLeaf or some other system is using for your SeeLevel setup. I believe what you want is a main SeeLevel setup in your wet bay then adding one of the "monitor only" products as I described paying careful attention on compatibility between the two monitors. One "monitor only" option is cheaper, I got it and learned it doesn't play well with my bluetooth setup. I know they've been "down" on the bluetooth for a while and I'm not sure why as it worked well. You may want to contact Garnett again and ask if they have any bluetooth models of the older style you could buy from them or even a refurb, it works fine so I don't know what problems they were having unless their bluetooth spec got too far out of date and that made them stop? I don't know, not a BT expert.

Moral is, don't overcomplicate this. Very simple setup and wiring.
@Neal

I am about to order the Bluetooth sensor set along with an additional panel. Garnet says they are still shipping the Bluetooth model and expect more to arrive from late March to early April.

I have the Ventana 4369 and my grey and black tanks have a seam on the bottom. Did you have the same and I would be interested in knowing how you handled the seam? I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to sand it down flat, or just put the sensor and secure it with some additional tape on the edges. Additionally, where did you mount the inside display panel, and where did you find a good path to get wires up?

Thank you

@Neal

I am about to order the Bluetooth sensor set along with an additional panel. Garnet says they are still shipping the Bluetooth model and expect more to arrive from late March to early April.

I have the Ventana 4369 and my grey and black tanks have a seam on the bottom. Did you have the same and I would be interested in knowing how you handled the seam? I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to sand it down flat, or just put the sensor and secure it with some additional tape on the edges. Additionally, where did you mount the inside display panel, and where did you find a good path to get wires up?

Thank you
Glad to hear Garnett is offering the Bluetooth SeeLevel again, great system, far more accurate than the nonsense Newmar is using (KiB).

First off, you have two options for mounting location:

Pegboard side: Yes, you can sand the seam. The problem with this side is the black and gray tanks ramp up from the bottom at about a 30 degree slope (at least mine do) as this allows the "stuff" to drain towards the wet bay side. You won't get good readings at the bottom levels but you'll have good readings at the top levels, which is most important.

Wet bay side: There is a section of the side of the tank which is where Newmar installs the sensors, I put the SeeLevel strips next to those and get great readings empty to full.

Tip: Tape the sensors in place to get the top/bottom location where you want it, most importantly your FULL reading.

The SeeLevel control head is mounted in the wet bay panel, you'll have to run wires across which is easy, big gap between tanks.

I have a secondary panel inside the coach, it is significantly more complex to run the wires but once you learn the paths in your coach it's not hard. With Bluetooth it's not needed, you can check tank levels far easier on your phone or tablet.

Glad to hear Garnett is offering the Bluetooth SeeLevel again, great system, far more accurate than the nonsense Newmar is using (KiB).

First off, you have two options for mounting location:

Pegboard side: Yes, you can sand the seam. The problem with this side is the black and gray tanks ramp up from the bottom at about a 30 degree slope (at least mine do) as this allows the "stuff" to drain towards the wet bay side. You won't get good readings at the bottom levels but you'll have good readings at the top levels, which is most important.

Wet bay side: There is a section of the side of the tank which is where Newmar installs the sensors, I put the SeeLevel strips next to those and get great readings empty to full.

Tip: Tape the sensors in place to get the top/bottom location where you want it, most importantly your FULL reading.

The SeeLevel control head is mounted in the wet bay panel, you'll have to run wires across which is easy, big gap between tanks.

I have a secondary panel inside the coach, it is significantly more complex to run the wires but once you learn the paths in your coach it's not hard. With Bluetooth it's not needed, you can check tank levels far easier on your phone or tablet.
I did plan to install the sensors on the wet bay side, seems like the right place. Where did you mount your inside panel, and where did you find a good path to get there? I've never ran wires from the bay area to the inside, this will be a new one for me. I thought about skipping the inside panel since Bluetooth could solve that problem, but I am also installing the Drainmaster electronic valves which will require me to run wires. Might as well do both panels since I have to run wires for the tank valves.

Thanks.

Latest resources

Back