Chassis
Gillig
Engine
3208 Caterpillar
TOW/TOAD
Honda
Fulltimer
No
On a recent trip to Caesar Creek state park in Ohio the Barth was low on the driver side. Here is the Barth on Leveling jacks, sitting pretty level. Before emptying the air ride suspension air bags, I put a 2x6 blocks under the 16,000 rear leveling jacks. This was needed since the sight was low in the back. I also wanted the leveling jacks to bottom out and act as a jack stand for repair I needed to do.

IMG_1783[1].jpg

It was over 90 degrees every day we were there. This spot has NO SHADE. It did offer me opportunity to show off my Barth. After making sure the rear jacks were settled all the way down, for safety, I slithered under the rig. The air bags were also purged to empty. I had to slither under the pumpkin (Rear Drive Housing) and I could see the culprit. Here is the leveling arm in about the position the leveling arm had taken. The bent position causing improper ride height

IMG_1839.JPG

The arm is removed in the picture, but that is the position the coach was riding at. It was low on one side, but not broken off. This caused for the driver side to ride about 3 inches low.

I called my bride while looking at the needed repair. She was in the camper with both air conditioners running on HIGH. I could not slither out and back in this position very many times. She was able to pass me the part which I carry and the tools needed for the repair.

IMG_1830.JPG

With direction my wife found the new replacement and the tools, I needed to complete the repair above. According to the out door thermometer sensor it was 106 degrees sometime that day. I was delighted the air valve is still turning on and off the air at the correct height, after the repair was complete.

We had an uneventful drive home. If I had called a mobile service, I would think the service company would have wanted to replace the air valve also.

At home I returned to Commercial Truck and Trailer, Girard, Ohio to replenish my supplies.

I am not sure how much longer I can do my own repairs on the road. The repair I did sure did save a heap of cash. I was soaked from head to toe with coveralls on, but worth the sweat.

Latest resources

Back