Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TAP

RVF Newbee
Traveling in a 41 foot MH this fall from Tuscaloosa Alabama,have 16-18 days plan to stay in West Yellowstone for 7 days .Would like to see Mount Rushmore and Devils Tower enroute then hope to stay near the Tetons to visit a day or two then home.First time trip and would like suggestions/info on places to stay/see enroute.Dry camping is an option.2 adults and 2 dogs. TIA

Sounds like a trip I did years ago. I left Orlando Fl. at the time. Went to Memphis and stayed the night at Graceland RV Park and toured Elvis's mansion. then we drove up to Sioux Falls SD. Turned left on 80 and went to famous Wells Drug Store. Going through the Black Hills on the Mt. Rushmore staying at the KOA there. Visited Crazy horse, and went on to Devils Tower. Now I went on to Red Lodge MT. where my mothers family are from and stayed for a day. Then we went up the Beartooth pass on up to Yellowstone. The map below however shows straight to Yellowstone. Then we stayed in Jackson Hole for a day or two and went to the Million Dollar Salon. From there we went down to Denver on our return trip, then across to Nashville to go down music row. We only stayed a day or two at any one spot and it took us about 2 weeks. At the time we had a 2000 Ford 350 dully with a 36ft 5th wheel.

1623160545998.png

Wow you covered alot of miles in 2 weeks it usually takes us about 10 hours to Orlando.
How was driving the beartooth pass?
From what I've read it can be a little scary in a large vehicle, I'm a little nervous about that direction and I'm not even driving lol.

Wow you covered alot of miles in 2 weeks it usually takes us about 10 hours to Orlando.
How was driving the beartooth pass?
From what I've read it can be a little scary in a large vehicle, I'm a little nervous about that direction and I'm not even driving lol.
Bear tooth pass was not that bad. There are quite a few switch backs but I had no problems. I was going up the Mtn and not down which is a lot better.
Yes we did cover a lot of miles. We only stayed at most 2 days. Most of the time 1 day. Our primary goal was to get to Red Lodge Montana and visit family, then I got called back for a work project and had to come back.

Traveling in a 41 foot MH this fall from Tuscaloosa Alabama,have 16-18 days plan to stay in West Yellowstone for 7 days .Would like to see Mount Rushmore and Devils Tower enroute then hope to stay near the Tetons to visit a day or two then home.First time trip and would like suggestions/info on places to stay/see enroute.Dry camping is an option.2 adults and 2 dogs. TIA
have you made any reservations? 99% of Jackson Hole campgrounds are booked, as are most, of Yellowstone. There are some 'forest roads' if your boondocking. We made reservastions, last October 2020, for 14 day trip--some of the campgrounds, were not open at the time. Jackson Hole area 'opened' to booking on April 1st--booked up thru September is my understanding, quickly. Sounds almost like our trip also-only we're pulling out of east Texas late July. SAFE TRAVELS!

have you made any reservations? 99% of Jackson Hole campgrounds are booked, as are most, of Yellowstone. There are some 'forest roads' if your boondocking. We made reservastions, last October 2020, for 14 day trip--some of the campgrounds, were not open at the time. Jackson Hole area 'opened' to booking on April 1st--booked up thru September is my understanding, quickly. Sounds almost like our trip also-only we're pulling out of east Texas late July. SAFE TRAVELS!
Yes we booked at Valley view CG near West Yellowstone and Headwaters Flag ranch near the Tetons, not my first choice but glad I found a place sort of last minute. Thought since we get there the end of August it wouldn't be a problem, wrong lol.
Safe travels to ya'll as well.

Since your in the area hows the 'traffic" in/out Yellowstone? I check the west entrance 'cam' and around 7am it appears it starts backup pretty good.....

Sounds like a trip I did years ago. I left Orlando Fl. at the time. Went to Memphis and stayed the night at Graceland RV Park and toured Elvis's mansion. then we drove up to Sioux Falls SD. Turned left on 80 and went to famous Wells Drug Store. Going through the Black Hills on the Mt. Rushmore staying at the KOA there. Visited Crazy horse, and went on to Devils Tower. Now I went on to Red Lodge MT. where my mothers family are from and stayed for a day. Then we went up the Beartooth pass on up to Yellowstone. The map below however shows straight to Yellowstone. Then we stayed in Jackson Hole for a day or two and went to the Million Dollar Salon. From there we went down to Denver on our return trip, then across to Nashville to go down music row. We only stayed a day or two at any one spot and it took us about 2 weeks. At the time we had a 2000 Ford 350 dully with a 36ft 5th wheel.

View attachment 7276
Nice trip. I'm glad it went well for you. Thanks for the info.

Latest resources

Back