• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Alaskan voyage

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Haven't been, but i understand you must get the Milepost. Spotty cell reception will necessitate a paper guide and the Milepost is like the Mobile travel guide of old but still used by just about everyone venturing to Alaska.

Beware of the mile post. Although I would have one with me it can contain some out dated info. We headed North out of one of the towns with a gas station about 100 miles ahead per the post. We reached the station which had been closed for a few years. We were on fumes by the time we got to the next station. If practical carry some extra gas with you.

Check out Big Truck Travels channel on YouTube. They chronicled an epic trip in a super C (they normally travel in a custom 5er and semi hauler) that started early spring and lasted until late fall. They recently wrapped up their expenses in a video.

Check out Youtube's "Hanging with the Hanks" (I think). They just completed an Alaska trip and posted in detail. Great reference IMHO. Blessings

Overall the roads are not that bad. If traveling up in April you will get some snow and beware for frost heaves. Road construction will start in May and continue throughout the summer.

Milepost is very informative and highly recommended, highlights history and what’s ahead. Fuel is plentiful but do recommend staying on the top half of your fuel gauge.

See thread of our trip in 2022

Planning a trip up the Alaskan hwy this spring, any tips would be appreciated
Hi, I just got back in October!
I didn’t have the milepost when I went but I recently purchased it.
It’s a great book.
The road is good, like any other highway in Canada. Keep your fuel above half, plenty of gas stations along the route. I have Navigation in my truck and it was fairly accurate finding gas etc. many stations further north are card pay.
Lots of beautiful scenery, especially around muncho lake, toad river area.
Lots of camping, free or private.
Toad river recreational area just west of toad river, was a decent free site.
Rock lake just west of Whitehorse. Is a real nice government campground!
Government camping is everywhere, free firewood in the Yukon.
Prices for regular site was $23. Most are self pay,
Watch for animals on the roads, especially the wild buffalo.
I wouldn’t travel at night.
All the best!

Planning a trip up the Alaskan hwy this spring, any tips would be appreciated
We are planning to go to Alaska as well. We’ve scheduled our departure the first of June.

We are planning to go to Alaska as well. We’ve scheduled our departure the first of June.
Just a heads to to those folks that were thinking of visiting the Banff Alberta area. It is heavily congested and booked solid early. Finding a place to camp in the area is near impossible. Granted, the scenery is very nice (My home base is very near Banff). A by pass route that is equally scenic (actually IMO nicer) is to keep heading north from Calgary on highway 2 to Red Deer. From there take highway 11 west to a very small settlement called The Saskatchewan River Crossing where you will join highway 93 (aka The Icefield Parkway) which will take you to Jasper and beyond. There are a number of full service parks on highway 11 near Rocky Mountain House and a few unserviced campgrounds between R M H and S R C.

If visiting Banff is a must, there are a few parks about 2 hours away that don't fill quite so fast.

Safe travels

Darrell

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back