Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

driftpro

RVF Regular
Anyone able to point me in the right direction? I wasn't able to find the brake fluid reservoir the first time I looked around for it on my 1980 Tiffin Allegro 36' Cat diesel pusher on Oshkosh chassis.

I contacted Tiffin for an owners manual, but they do not have any such PDF for my specific model. They did sens me some alternate manuals for other rigs around that general time in hopes it might somehow prove useful... but unfortunately none of them reveal where to add brake fluid (to my rig, or any other rig for that matter).

There's a frunk which doesn't house much. There's one reservoir which I assume is for window washing fluid. Photo attached.

And then back by the engine, there's one item which I'm unable to identify. If anyone knows what it is, I'd love to know. But I doubt it's for brake fluid. Photo attached.

Anyone have a clue where I should be looking? I'm no mechanic, but I hadn't imagined it would be so challenging to locate.

Attachments

• 1980-Allegro-Tiffin-frunk.jpg
    1980-Allegro-Tiffin-frunk.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 1980-Allegro-Tiffin-engine.jpg
    1980-Allegro-Tiffin-engine.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
I am not aware of any diesel pushers that have hydraulic brakes. They will all have air brakes, hence no brake fluid reservoir.

Rich it could possibly be hydraulic assist brakes. Drift chase the lines on the power steering and see if it leads to brake master cylinder. But I have things bouncing around in my skull. If it has hydraulic brakes as opposed to air, the master cylinder has to be up on the firewall doesn't it guys? The fluid reservoir can't be far away.

Rich it could possibly be hydraulic assist brakes. Drift chase the lines on the power steering and see if it leads to brake master cylinder. But I have things bouncing around in my skull. If it has hydraulic brakes as opposed to air, the master cylinder has to be up on the firewall doesn't it guys? The fluid reservoir can't be far away.
Agreed - the OP could follow the hydro-boost lines and eventually find it, probably behind all that other stuff up front on the firewall as you said, directly in front of the brake pedal.

The two lines I clumsily indicated in green might be the hydro-boost lines:
IMG_2957.jpeg

I found this on a google search
Yes, that is one of the manuals which Tiffin sent to me, as a kind of hail mary. But, despite the wishful thinking, that manual does not offer much information that actually reflects my rig.

You second pic is the power steering reservoir.

Thank you! That is helpful to know for the future.

If that black cylindrical container is the power steering reservoir, then what might the container in front be for (the clear container with a red cap and light green fluid)? I'd better learn now to improve my understanding.

Attachments

• 1980-Allegro-Tiffin-power-steering.jpg
    1980-Allegro-Tiffin-power-steering.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 3
I am not aware of any diesel pushers that have hydraulic brakes. They will all have air brakes, hence no brake fluid reservoir.
This one definitely has hydraulic brakes, not air brakes. Previous owner added DOT3 after I noted the soft brake performance when I went to pick it up. Unfortunately, at the time, I was distracted by other people talking to me inside the rig and thus missed an opportunity to observe where the reservoir was.

Drift chase the lines on the power steering and see if it leads to brake master cylinder. .... the master cylinder has to be up on the firewall doesn't it guys? The fluid reservoir can't be far away.

I will see if I can figure out where those lines go.

I'm confused about what to expect. Are you suggesting the reservoir could be inside the cab? There is a panel in the dashboard but it appears only to be for accessing electrical wires governing the speedometer, oil temp gauge, and so forth. Or maybe between the frunk and cab, accessible only from underneath somehow? That seems an unlikely option, but I'm open to learning.

Originally, when I first began to look, I assumed the reservoir would be easily accessible from the frunk and readily identifiable as well. My assumptions have proven poor.

directly in front of the brake pedal.

The two lines I clumsily indicated in green might be the hydro-boost lines:

Thank you for the green indicators. I'll see if I can follow those lines to something recognizable. Alternatively, I will climb underneath and see if I can find any lines connecting to the brake pedal that might go somewhere.

Go to one of your front wheels. A 1/8" steel line should lead you to the master cylinder. There will probably be a short rubber coated flex line screwed into the backing plate of the wheel. The steel line will be attached to that.

Latest resources

Back