• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Anti social campgrounds

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I think the way to feel better about this is find larger campgrounds. If you're in a smaller community people may seek you out more to attend events. For comparison, Palm Creek, AZ is huge and has a lot of events but you can do your own thing or do something they offer, entirely up to you, but there is no pressure to do anything. Smaller locations such as when I was in Pagosa Springs, CO, people noticed me not doing what others do as I was involved in replacing TV's, etc. and quite frankly didn't want to do some of the dining socials. When I finally got out to drive up to Ouray my neighbor stopped by who was paying particular attention to my activities, or lack thereof, and I told him to tell everyone I drove to Ouray today! As a joke.

So in thinking through your dilemma, consider the size of the campground you're going to and that may help you out. Also realize campgrounds that restrict to 55 and over are more likely to be as you describe.
Thank you for the detailed thought out reply. I like this forum! So many others I post in and get no response. Have to admit I’m in a 500 site campground 😂 but still feel like I’m in a fishbowl. Yes, I feel like I/we need a resort that isn’t a 55 plus. I’ll keep up the quest :) I’m sure the problem is my own 😭.

I don't like sharing all of my closest held tips but not wearing deodorant has been a big success.

I get this. State parks rule. We're weekenders and grandparents. My wife is all about places that are amusement parks you can park inside and I want something like a tent in the woods. I have managed to wrangle things my way a couple of times and I think she's starting to come around. I forced her to pay attention as a couple of normally video game/cellphone-addicted little boys spent two quiet hours fooling with rocks and sticks in a knee deep creek one time. My kind of camping. I grew up with it, my wife has come to it late in life.

If a place has trails to be walked/hiked or biked on that's all the bonus entertainment I am interested in for myself. If we are sans any kids my wife is fine with such too and no interest in pickle ball, shuffle board, bingo, etc.

Thank you for the detailed thought out reply. I like this forum! So many others I post in and get no response. Have to admit I’m in a 500 site campground 😂 but still feel like I’m in a fishbowl. Yes, I feel like I/we need a resort that isn’t a 55 plus. I’ll keep up the quest :) I’m sure the problem is my own 😭.
Take a look at McDowell Nature Preserve, Charlotte, NC. We don't do the "social events" at RV parks much either, but I don't really think anyone cares!

I don't like sharing all of my closest held tips but not wearing deodorant has been a big success.
I get this. State parks rule. We're weekenders and grandparents. My wife is all about places that are amusement parks you can park inside and I want something like a tent in the woods. I have managed to wrangle things my way a couple of times and I think she's starting to come around. I forced her to pay attention as a couple of normally video game/cellphone-addicted little boys spent two quiet hours fooling with rocks and sticks in a knee deep creek one time. My kind of camping. I grew up with it, my wife has come to it late in life.

If a place has trails to be walked/hiked or biked on that's all the bonus entertainment I am interested in for myself. If we are sans any kids my wife is fine with such too and no interest in pickle ball, shuffle board, bingo, etc.
Thank you Gypsy :) I was beginning to think I was alone in this. Yes biking and walking is all I need. I also enjoy just sitting outside. Some folks just don’t get that lol! Happy camping to you!

Eh easy to say, but it still makes you feel some sort of way if you are not involved in the events. Like everyone is noticing and wondering what your deal is. You know? Thanks AbdRahim.
I appreciate the response :)
I participate in very little. No guilt no shame. I socialize with all who are interested in such, otherwise, I just enjoy camping, living in my rig. Same as at the S & B. In 55+parks, there are many activities. Most people pick and choose. Likely 40- 50 % participate in 0-1 activity. No one judges.

Btw, I never miss a public meal.😂

FOY (Fountain of Youth) on the east side of the Salton Sea is a good example. Its very large, has about a 10% permanent contingent in single and double wides (all well kept - good CCRs and all that) and as such has lots of activities, a weekly farmers market on site, good little store and cafe, class rooms with classes scheduled, meeting rooms, pickle ball, shuffle board, and of course the pools and three hot tubs with three different water temps all fed by the mineral hot springs (hence fountain of youth).

Which reminds me they also have water sports and organized swimming with adult swim times and a separate no kids pool, and pool exercise sessions as well as a gym….the list goes on. Its a very friendly park and you can join in on whatever you want or just chill, or hike the desert mountains with the dogs and grill in the evenings exchanging greetings with passers-bye.

As mentioned above no guilt, no shame and I’ll add no stress, no pressure. Generally I steer clear of large parks but I like this one, almost enough to buy a lot or single wide there with parking for my coach. We’re headed there next month for a while. May or may not participate in activites, but we will have an enjoyable time, good weather, and probably run into folks we know. That works for us.

I participate in very little. No guilt no shame. I socialize with all who are interested in such, otherwise, I just enjoy camping, living in my rig. Same as at the S & B. In 55+parks, there are many activities. Most people pick and choose. Likely 40- 50 % participate in 0-1 activity. No one judges.

Btw, I never miss a public meal.😂
Thanks for your insight. You are like my husband. Doesn’t bother him a bit - just me. You guys rock at Rv forums.

Latest resources

Back