Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Any good sites to compare Truck Towing Capacities?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I have been out of the truck market since 2017 but did or does RAM make a Mega Cab with the short bed?
Thinking more, I think you're right that Ram has had a DRW standard bed option in the past, mostly on the Mega Cabs but on some other cab configurations as well, I think. I have no idea if they still have that option though as I find it very hard to navigate their website. I also have no need for a diesel truck so I haven't researched Ram as much as GM and Ford.

Hey all! *first time poster alert*

We know the GCVW we need is likley to be around 16832 - now we are trying to find the perfect truck. My research suggests we prob need an F350 (or equivalent RAM/GMC/Toyota) - are there any good resources or websites that just list all manufacturers and their standard towing/payload capacity so we can find the sweetspot?

Thanks in advance!
Hi All - so I have a 5th wheel sourced + a ram 2019 3500 dually that i think is the one to look at this weekend.

I've checked all towing/payload/GVW/GCVW and i have plenty to spare - my only concern is it's a 3.73 axle ratio and a 68rfe vs an aisin transmission which i know is not optimal.

Should this be a deal breaker and look for one that has both these or not much of an issue?

The RAM will pull that 5er without a problem. There are many RVs pulling 20,000 5er with that RAM and gear ratio.

Hi All - so I have a 5th wheel sourced + a ram 2019 3500 dually that i think is the one to look at this weekend.

I've checked all towing/payload/GVW/GCVW and i have plenty to spare - my only concern is it's a 3.73 axle ratio and a 68rfe vs an aisin transmission which i know is not optimal.

Should this be a deal breaker and look for one that has both these or not much of an issue?
I've talked to a guys who say they'd only buy a Ram with the high output Cummins and the Aisin transmission. However, given the vehicle market these days, it might be a case of take what you can get.

I had a 3.73 gear in my 2018 ram dually and it worked great pulling my 16,500 pound fiver. I also had the aisin though.
Aisin is better, no doubt. How much better though I don't know.

Here's a discussion on it from a forum I used to go to when I owned my ram dually:

I had a 3.73 gear in my 2018 ram dually and it worked great pulling my 16,500 pound fiver. I also had the aisin though.
Aisin is better, no doubt. How much better though I don't know.

Here's a discussion on it from a forum I used to go to when I owned my ram dually:
Ok thanks yes the forum you linked in a nutshell basically is most people saying the rfe transmission will be fine if you are towing within the capacity and without modding from stock. The aisin is definitely better, but it also has some drawbacks (such as less people can service it as less common)

Towing capacity formula

1. Find out curb weight (on VIN sticker). 8159
  2. Add the weight of passengers, fuel, and cargo to the curb weight. 743
  3. Subtract this number from your vehicle’s GCWR ( you may have to look this up using your VIN if it’s not on the door sticker). 28300
This is your max towing capacity. 28300 – 8159-743 = 19398

Yeah here's the calcs i did - there's also 1976lbs of payload left over when i add hitch weight (3055) of the 5th wheel + passengers and cardo for another 700.

The GVWR (16995) is well under the 19398 above so seems like the rfe transmission should have no issues pulling this? The aisin may be better, but the rfe is more than adequate?

The 6.7PSD seems to have faired well but ford trusted them enough when the debuted in 2011 to keep the 6.7L Cummins L6 in the F650/750 for 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015. There's just something about 7 main bearings that keep V8 turbo diesels out of 99.99% of OTR trucks where reliability, longevity and efficiency are required.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back