Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Any good sites to compare Truck Towing Capacities?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Radioherd

RVF Regular
Hey all! *first time poster alert*

We know the GCVW we need is likley to be around 16832 - now we are trying to find the perfect truck. My research suggests we prob need an F350 (or equivalent RAM/GMC/Toyota) - are there any good resources or websites that just list all manufacturers and their standard towing/payload capacity so we can find the sweetspot?

Thanks in advance!

Hey all! *first time poster alert*

We know the GCVW we need is likley to be around 16832 - now we are trying to find the perfect truck. My research suggests we prob need an F350 (or equivalent RAM/GMC/Toyota) - are there any good resources or websites that just list all manufacturers and their standard towing/payload capacity so we can find the sweetspot?

Thanks in advance!
And another question - are there ANY Hybrid trucks that can tow this weight yet? Seems like the answer is no at this time....

Since you are towing over 10,000lbs, I’d concentrate on power and braking capability, and not economy. Until recently I towed just under 14,000lbs (equipment and trailer) with my 2017 F250 6.7. The power was nice but braking was even better. It has an exhasut brake that actually works and greatly contributes to slowing and control. Towing that kind of weight I wouldn't want to compromise on those two parameters. Also my truck, a Lariat crew cab, is the perfect balance of capability and driving comfort for me. If you are going to be putting in long days that matters too.

When you say GCVW, what are you referring to? Total loaded weight of truck and trailer combined or just of the trailer?

When you say GCVW, what are you referring to? Total loaded weight of truck and trailer combined or just of the trailer?
Yes sorry I meant GVWR of 16, 832 - here's an example or the 5th wheel - want to make sure we have plenty of payload and tow capacity spare but also don't want to break the bank so trying to find the sweetspot :)

New 2023 Forest River RV Sierra Luxury 384QBOK Fifth Wheel - ON ORDER

Forest River Sierra Luxury fifth wheel 384QBOK highlights: Bath and a Half Dual Entry Bunkhouse Suite Kitchen Island Pass-Through Storage Exterior Kitchen You can create the perfect summer getaway...

We will probably but a 2022 model or a lightly used one if we can find one (again, to find the sweetspot)

I think you're in dually territory although lots of people disagree with me going by what I see on the highways.

On average, depending on the floor plan the pin weight will be between 20 and 25%. You can plan on pin weight between 33,666 and 4,208. Taking the middle and using 22.5% the payload 3703. Now figure the weight of your hitch, stuff in the truck and people in the truck. Normally a rear living room is closer to the 25% because the most of the storage is in front of the wheel. Remember the web specs are no option and this most payload possible. My 2017 GMC web specs said it had 4200 pounds of payload but the door tag said I had 3722 pounds of payload. Check out this site before you buy.

Agree with Fish and Gizmo here for a 16,000lb trailer. My truck has a max cap of 27,000 on goose neck hitch, but I would never tow that much. And with the added weight on a 5th wheel hitch (4,000 lbs ?) I‘d want duals to distribute the weight and avoid tire failures regardless of what the specs say. I’ve always advised against towing to your max capacity and having witnessed many tire failures on 5th wheels, my feeling is it’s best to have extra capacity.

I think you're in dually territory although lots of people disagree with me going by what I see on the highways.
Kinda what i've been thinking too - Ram seems to have the best price for a dually i can see, but i know Fords are the most popular, anyone have experience of Ram dually versus Ford/other?

On average, depending on the floor plan the pin weight will be between 20 and 25%. You can plan on pin weight between 33,666 and 4,208. Taking the middle and using 22.5% the payload 3703. Now figure the weight of your hitch, stuff in the truck and people in the truck. Normally a rear living room is closer to the 25% because the most of the storage is in front of the wheel. Remember the web specs are no option and this most payload possible. My 2017 GMC web specs said it had 4200 pounds of payload but the door tag said I had 3722 pounds of payload. Check out this site before you buy.
Thanks for the link!

Latest resources

Back