Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Any good sites to compare Truck Towing Capacities?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Agree with Fish and Gizmo here for a 16,000lb trailer. My truck has a max cap of 27,000 on goose neck hitch, but I would never tow that much. And with the added weight on a 5th wheel hitch (4,000 lbs ?) I‘d want duals to distribute the weight and avoid tire failures regardless of what the specs say. I’ve always advised against towing to your max capacity and having witnessed many tire failures on 5th wheels, my feeling is it’s best to have extra capacity.
Right - want to have some extra capacity for sure - what truck do you have atm?

Kinda what i've been thinking too - Ram seems to have the best price for a dually i can see, but i know Fords are the most popular, anyone have experience of Ram dually versus Ford/other?
I've always been Chevy but when I needed a dually they insulted me with price so I ended up with a 2018 Ram cummins aisin 4x4 crew cab. It did everything I needed it to. The air suspension I didn't think I needed turned out to be great. I gave 51,000 for it new and sold it last year for 51,000 when I sold the fifth wheel and went motorhome.

I've always been Chevy but when I needed a dually they insulted me with price so I ended up with a 2018 Ram cummins aisin 4x4 crew cab. It did everything I needed it to. The air suspension I didn't think I needed turned out to be great. I gave 51,000 for it new and sold it last year for 51,000 when I sold the fifth wheel and went motorhome.
Ok very cool yes I found a couple articles suggesting you get the most capacity for your $ with the RAM so this makes sense - love the resale value too but the used market is crazy atm

As others have said, I think you're into a 3500 with dual rear wheels. I'm partial to the GM Duramax/Alison combo.

Ford is popular but everyone I know personally who's had one has had lots of problems with them. The Cummins engine in the Rams is stout - make sure you get the high output engine and the Aisin transmission - but the rest of the truck is liable to fall apart around the powertrain.

Unplanned review of my 2017 F250 (does atm mean “at this moment”?):

Im driving a 2017 F250 6.7 PSD CC 4x4 Lariat which I bought it new and it has had no issues other than the junk OE batteries which lasted just over the 3 year warranty period and vented a lot causing corosion. I bought AGMs and that ended that issue. Also added a BW hitch for 5th and goose neck towing. Also the price tag was a bit steep for a pick up.

I’d be interested to hear about problems people have had with this combo as I havent heard of any and it has proven itself hauling an industrial tractor on an equipment trailer as well as a 5th wheel across the country. I compared the Alison they put in chevy pickups with this ford trans and the Aisin the put in dodges and there is very little difference - each is little better in one category or another, but essentially they all share the same engineering and construction. I’d be a bit nervous about the 8 or 10 speeds the use now - they might be fine but I’m a bit skeptical.

The 6.7 PSD is an in-house Ford designed and built engine that replaced the international 6.0 and the earlier 6.4. Lots of problems as we all know with the 6.0 and I’ve heard of some random discontent with the 6.4, but no complaints with the 6.7. One nice thing is it has the extra power that people pay for with aftermarket tuners on other trucks. 450/935 makes for a good pickup power train. After it broke in it started routinely chirping the tires in 2nd. Actually have to keep my foot out of it. Fuel mileage is just ok at around 14.5 for routine local driving - probably better on the highway but I don’t do that enough to know.

For the most my truck just hauls hay and the occasional farm and construction stuff now and seems like more truck than I need but I like the semi-luxury of the Lariat package, crew cab for the grand kids, and 4x4 since its off pavement a lot (farming), although I don't do any intentional four wheeling. Just nice to have when I need it. Other than oil changes, tires, and batteries, its needed nothing. Also the rear hitch is supposedly weight distributing because of the design (not sure I believe that) and they say its rated at something like 17k lbs - another thing I‘m skeptical about, but it can certainly handle what I use it for (the pin that came with it is stamped 21,000lbs). Its a 3” so it requires an adapter for normal ball mounts.

If I was planning to tow a heavy 5th wheel, I’d want a long bed and duals. The long bed for cab clearnance and the duals for extra capacity and stability. Towing a 30’ 5th wheel made me nervous a few times when the front of the trailer got close to the rear of the cab. Also my truck is stock height but it is almost too high for towing a 5th wheel - the bottom front of the trailer came to within an inch or less of the bed several times. Something to check when truck shopping for this purpose. But for what I do, I like the maneuverability and convenience of this size truck. Towing a goose neck stock or equipment trailer was a breeze. And my RV is a Class A.

Ok so i'm in Dually territory - towing capacity probably needs to be 16k +

- when it comes to long or short truck beds, where does everyone stand on the slider 5th wheel hitches? Will they work if a short bed come up, or better with a long bed?

I bought a 2022 ram 2500 cummins 6.7, 4x4, 3.73, short bed. I tow a 34 foot, 9k 5th wheel. The truck came with a rear air suspension. I bought it though I was hesitant because of the air suspension. To my surprise the first time i hitched my trailer, the truck maintained its stock height all the way around. But the best surprise of all was the way the truck towed. It was so comfortable that at times it seemed like I was not even towing something. My wife was surprised as she did not feel much difference between towing and going unladen. Granted this is a 3/4 ton truck. But the towing experience was amazingly comfortable and stress free. I had to keep reminding myself that I was towing something that was 34 foot long. In your case, I would definitely go with a dually. Might even consider them rear air bags if you go with a Ram. I got about 13 miles to the gallon on flat roads, and 11 mpg on the mountain roads. This was mainly at towing speed of 60 mph. I typically get about 22 mpg when I dont tow and its just highway miles. I drive around 65 mph when I am on the highway empty. By the way, this truck is my daily driver. I hope this helps, good luck.

- when it comes to long or short truck beds, where does everyone stand on the slider 5th wheel hitches? Will they work if a short bed come up, or better with a long bed?
I never personally had a slider hitch and always had a standard(short) bed. You have to watch for trees, tree limbs, rocks, fence posts, and picnic tables, and not taking out your windows in sharp turns is just one more thing to watch for. I didn't think it was worth the cost nor the weight of the hitch when I need to take it out of my truck bed. Others will say it is one less thing to worry about.

I thought you could only get DRW on long beds...

I thought you could only get DRW on long beds...
I have been out of the truck market since 2017 but did or does RAM make a Mega Cab with the short bed?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back