Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Any RV fulltimers still keep their house?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I want to fulltime but probably for a fixed amount of time, i.e. 1-3 years. I love my house, I love my big TV, I love my stereo setup, home office, the list goes on. I love RVing and love when I go and keep on going. The theme of RV fulltiming always seems to be getting rid of everything and going, some people do put things in storage I've heard and that would be an alternate option. My desire would be to keep my house, not necessarily rent it as having someone else living in my house disgusts me and "violates" it :) but I'd either have family or pay someone to pickup the mail, run water, etc.

What options have you done, considered, etc. to go on a long RV adventure without letting go of the S&B?

We'll never be official Full Timer although we've talked about becoming Extended Timers, lol. ;) And while we're away, we'd like to rent our home out to those families that are looking to visit the mountains. Lots of families need a nice place for a wedding, or to have a family reunion, or just to get away from the city. Before we bought/built were we are, we had a log home that we used like that and it was like finding money. Of course, you have to do it correctly, get the adequate deposits, and vett your visitors correctly, but that's what property management people do.

Many of the "Full Time RV" YouTube personalities that I have watched over the years have resorted to purchasing a "Home Base" to have a place to retreat to during certain parts of the year or just to get off the road for a while. This Pandemic has only reinforced the desire to have your Own Space to retreat to in times of chaos rather than chase around to find something that is ultimately controlled by someone else. Also, as has been in my plan, it is nice to have a consistent set of service providers, doctors, dentists, etc. to be able to plan annual visits.

Seems to me that many high end motorhome owners that have gone full time have kept the s&b. Much fewer low end full timers keep the s&b.
Almost all property no mater what it is, seems to degrade when left unattended. The kids don't hold your property in their hearts the way you do, so only you can keep it up the way you feel it should be.

If you don't have financial issues keeping vs. have financial issues keeping something not in use, is part of the choice you will make to full time, no real right way to do it.

I keep a vacant piece of property so I can go home if I desire. The thing is it takes about 6 to 8 months of hard work to bring it back to life. seems the property rewards me when I give it some loving, but holds a grudge to remind me I left it.

Many say it is important to have an exit strategy from RV living. I have enjoyed the nomadic life so long, I would be giving up my home to leave it. For me I guess my exit strategy is 6' under.

We sold our home when we went full time. We miss absolutely nothing about it, except for the convenience of having that guaranteed spot to return to if the need arose. We particularly realized the convenience - not necessarily need - for that when the pandemic initially started. We now find ourselves looking for a small 1-2 acre tract of land that we can do whatever we want with - the first of which would be to install a pad and RV hookups. The problem we’ve found is in all the nice areas where you’d want to do this, your choices come down to an RV lot in a campground (something we don’t want) or frequently nothing. For some reason, many local governments have zero problem with a rundown trailer on a beautiful piece of land, but refuse to even consider a luxury RV. Everyone wants us to build some minimum 2,000 square foot house first.

The only rationale I can come up with is taxes. RV hookups wont improve the tax value of a parcel much unless perhaps you also brought in full utilities that weren’t already there or very close by ($$$$). But plop a trailer on that parcel or build a house on it and now the tax assessed value goes way up.

If we were doing it again, I’d still sell the house but I suppose I would have found land that could accommodate serving as a home base before taking the plunge. Now I’m in it and looking (admittedly just passively).

We sold our home when we went full time. We miss absolutely nothing about it, except for the convenience of having that guaranteed spot to return to if the need arose. We particularly realized the convenience - not necessarily need - for that when the pandemic initially started. We now find ourselves looking for a small 1-2 acre tract of land that we can do whatever we want with - the first of which would be to install a pad and RV hookups. The problem we’ve found is in all the nice areas where you’d want to do this, your choices come down to an RV lot in a campground (something we don’t want) or frequently nothing. For some reason, many local governments have zero problem with a rundown trailer on a beautiful piece of land, but refuse to even consider a luxury RV. Everyone wants us to build some minimum 2,000 square foot house first.

The only rationale I can come up with is taxes. RV hookups wont improve the tax value of a parcel much unless perhaps you also brought in full utilities that weren’t already there or very close by ($$$$). But plop a trailer on that parcel or build a house on it and now the tax assessed value goes way up.

If we were doing it again, I’d still sell the house but I suppose I would have found land that could accommodate serving as a home base before taking the plunge. Now I’m in it and looking (admittedly just passively).

In Cochise county AZ you can't put your RV on a lot. It is easy though if you find some friends that will go in on a RV development. Minumum size is 5 acres and must be fenced with 6' fence and only one external way in. the rules require a community use area. The ideas are lessen neighbor complaints, and of course increase property value.

In Cochise county AZ you can't put your RV on a lot. It is easy though if you find some friends that will go in on a RV development. Minumum size is 5 acres and must be fenced with 6' fence and only one external way in. the rules require a community use area. The ideas are lessen neighbor complaints, and of course increase property value.
Thanks for the tip but I’m looking at eastern FL or Gulf Shores, AL - anything beachy. The other thought we’re kicking around is buying something that has a trailer on it, putting in our pad and then hiding the trailer with landscaping. We’d meet the letter of the law under that scenario.

I can only talk about what I know. Check with the county seat and find out what the rules are for RV parks.

I know there are many places that allow “manufactured” homes on lots. Is there anything that says a large Rv can’t be called a manufactured home? I have no experience, just asking.

Suppose that interpretation depends on the county inspector.

Latest resources

Back