Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Anyone out there towing with a toyota tundra?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Joe the new guy

RVF Regular
Hi everyone,

I ask if anyone out there is towing with a toyota tundra?
We have a 2019 toyota tundra trd offroad with towing package 6' 7" bed and extended cab.

It does have the towing package.

I see the max towing is around 9200 lbs and I don't want to come close to that.
It's only me my wife and 6 month old son. Wife and I want a queen size bed in the travel trailer but looking for options and advice as this is l very new to us.
Everything is appreciated!
Thank you everyone.

There are some units that fit that bill. However, the most important question is payload capacity? Look on inside driver’s door to get that easily. Then report back. A few main things go into subtracting from your payload to a better idea which unit(s) may be best for you.

When I look at the sticker inside the driver side door it reads:
Gvwr 7100 lbs
Gawr front 4000 lbs
Gawr rear 4150 lbs

There's a smaller Yellow sticker that states the truck is 12lbs reduced load carrying capacity.

We are looking at possibly a forest river vibe 18rb floor plan or similar.

Make sure you ignore the DRY WEIGHT. You will never tow it at that weight. Use the GVW of the trailer to decide what you can tow, then use 18% of that as the tongue weight. Subtract that from the cargo carrying capacity plus the hitch weight plus the driver and passenger plus the other things you will carry.

When I look at the sticker inside the driver side door it reads:
Gvwr 7100 lbs
Gawr front 4000 lbs
Gawr rear 4150 lbs

There's a smaller Yellow sticker that states the truck is 12lbs reduced load carrying capacity.

We are looking at possibly a forest river vibe 18rb floor plan or similar.
Hmmmm, should be like a number to the tune of for instance “2200 lbs.”, or what have you.

Just looked again and saw the combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1320 lbs.

So guessing that would include the trailer tougne weight as well?
I'm guessing as long as the tougne weight and me, my wife and little one and rest of the gear and stuff in and in truck don't exceed that or the max towing capacity of the truck we would be ok?
We are a couple years out from buying one I just want to make sure I understand everything and do it safely as I do intend on a weight distribution hitch so would have to factor that in as well.

Just looked again and saw the combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1320 lbs.

So guessing that would include the trailer tougne weight as well?
I'm guessing as long as the tougne weight and me, my wife and little one and rest of the gear and stuff in and in truck don't exceed that or the max towing capacity of the truck we would be ok?
We are a couple years out from buying one I just want to make sure I understand everything and do it safely as I do intend on a weight distribution hitch so would have to factor that in as well.
If the 1320 is CCC aka. Payload, then yes, whatever your actual weight the hitch from the TT, weight of occupants and gear is should not exceed that weight. In fact, you want to be about 10-15% below for margin of error.

So you get a TT with hitch weight let’s say of 700 lbs. and that is loaded how you will travel ; occupant and gear weight totals out at 400 lbs. that is a net of 1100 lbs simple math. 15% of 1320 would be 1122 lbs. So you would be traveling and towing within a safe margin.

This is a very simple example but you get the idea. Go research some campers in ultra lite which will be your best bet. The fun part is shopping and looking and going to RV lots if looking new to see what is possible and get a feel for what’s within the realm.

Report back with your findings. Let the fun begin as I love to spend other people’s money!

Oh, if you get a WDH, they are heavy so that has to be factored into the weight too. However, they do help greatly on long hauls. If you have a truck that has sway control and compensates for sway, short trips can be done without the WDH hooked up. I would never do a long trip on the road without one though.

Latest resources

Back