• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Are my axels undersized

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I agree the tires are great and I guess I’ll just have to live with the axels they put on. I’m in the process of ordering a couple sets of leaf springs to have if one breaks.

Fifth wheels are designed to carry 25% of the load on the truck. They rate axles and tires accordingly. And yes they don't over build. Save that dime.

Here is Coachmen’s response.

Good Morning Dave,

I appreciate your question, your axles on your unit are the correct axles, listed is the specifications and definitions explaining each. Your unit is specked accurately; there's NO safety hazard with your unit.

Axles 5100 x 2 = 10,200
Hitch weight 1935
12135 total

GVWR 12000

Hitch Weight:1935 lb.GVWR:12000 lb.UVW9574 lb.CCC2426 lb.Exterior Length:34' 8"Exterior Height:12' 4"Exterior Width:96"Fresh Water:48.00 gal.Gray Water:90.00 gal.Black Water:45.00 gal.Awning Size:15'

Specifications Definitions
GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) - is the maximum permissible weight of the unit when fully loaded. It includes all weights, inclusive of all fluids, cargo, optional equipment and accessories. For safety and product performance do NOT exceed the GVWR.

GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) - is the maximum permissible weight, including cargo, fluids, optional equipment and accessories that can be safely supported by a combination of all axles.

UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight)*- is the typical weight of the unit as manufactured at the factory. It includes all weight at the unit's axle(s) and tongue or pin and LP Gas. The UVW does not include cargo, fresh potable water, additional optional equipment or dealer installed accessories.
*Estimated Average based on standard build optional equipment.

CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity)** - is the amount of weight available for fresh potable water, cargo, additional optional equipment and accessories. CCC is equal to GVWR minus UVW. Available CCC should accommodate fresh potable water (8.3 lbs per gallon). Before filling the fresh water tank, empty the black and gray tanks to provide for more cargo capacity.
**Estimated Average based on standard build optional equipment.

Each Coachmen RV is weighed at the manufacturing facility prior to shipping. A label identifying the unloaded vehicle weight of the actual unit and the cargo carrying capacity is applied to every Coachmen RV prior to leaving our facilities.

So I guess according to this everything is fine.

Specifications Definitions
GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) - is the maximum permissible weight of the unit when fully loaded. It includes all weights, inclusive of all fluids, cargo, optional equipment and accessories. For safety and product performance do NOT exceed the GVWR.
Just be sure you never exceed limits and you should be OK. You'd be surprised how heavy "things" get over time.... CAT Scale Apps | CAT Scale

Your axles may or may not be undersized.

What about your guns?

Attachments

• Lou.jpg
    Lou.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1

Latest resources

Back