Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Gahafer03

RVF Regular
My 5 er has tandem 5100 lb axels with a dry weight of 10010 lbs and a gvwr of 12000 lbs. Did the factory undersized my axels?

My 5 er has tandem 5100 lb axels with a dry weight of 10010 lbs and a gvwr of 12000 lbs. Did the factory undersized my axels?
They certainly didn't leave you any extra IMHO. My GVWR is 20,000 and they put three 7,000 pound axles under mine.

Mine has the same issue. 12,400 GVW and two 5200 lb axles. If you have Dexter axles the only difference between the 5200 and the 6000 and 7000 pound axles is the tube thickness. The 5200 has 3/16" tube and the 6000 and 7000 tube is 1/4". They both use the same spindles. I am thinking of upgrading the springs on mine.

I would be more worried about what rated tire they let it leave the factory with. If your tires are below a G rating you should load everything up and run across the scales. When you have your axle weights pull up the tire manufacturer charts to see what psi they should be at and where you stand.

Already put 6k miles on the original tires. Replaced them with Goodyear endurance tires.
What is the load rating of the tires?

I would be just as concerned about the frame. I would add angle to the frame in front and back a good 3ft and mount the springs to that. If they went cheap on the suspension, they went cheap on the frame.

I hope all that isn’t necessary. It’s a coachmen Chaparral. Pretty good coach and a Lippert frame same as most out there. I’m sure that’s fine just wish they would have put the 6k axels on. Load rating on the tires is E 10 ply.

I would be more worried about what rated tire they let it leave the factory with. If your tires are below a G rating you should load everything up and run across the scales. When you have your axle weights pull up the tire manufacturer charts to see what psi they should be at and where you stand.
You shouldn't need 'G' rated tires. Goodyear Endurance 235/80r16 'E' are rated for 3420 pounds each @80 psi. https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

Latest resources

Back