Chassis
Roadmaster
Engine
Cummins ISL
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Fulltimer
No
I've got a 2008 HR Endeavor with an Atwood gas/electric hot water heater. When the unit is first turned on it discharges water from the pressure valve for a while. I capture the water in a container but it is a bit of a nuisance having to empty it every day. I've changed the 2 sensors in the back to no avail. The water is never hot in the container either. Any ideas?

It sounds like the pressure valve on your hot water tank **may be** bad. I had a 2000 endevaor long ago and had a similar issue. just replaced the valve with a new one from hardware store. just make sure the water is not hot when replacing, though, **IF** there are no faucets open, there should be just a small amount of water discharging once you remove the existing valve. Once the water discharge slows down, should be able to install the new one.

It sounds like the pressure valve on your hot water tank **may be** bad. I had a 2000 endevaor long ago and had a similar issue. just replaced the valve with a new one from hardware store. just make sure the water is not hot when replacing, though, **IF** there are no faucets open, there should be just a small amount of water discharging once you remove the existing valve. Once the water discharge slows down, should be able to install the new one.
Thanks for the reply. I already replaced the valve to try to resolve the problem and it didn’t fix it.

Mine discharges all the time when it is heating water that is maybe 40 degrees to 140 degrees. The 6 gallons of water does not have room to expand in a tiny 6 gallon tank. If you notice most home tanks have expansion tanks for the change in water volume. Motor homes usually do not have expansion tanks. You could add an expansion tank, or let the tank expansion valve do what it is supposed to do.

Better the expansion valve discharge than the tank explode or blow a water line somewhere in your coach that in not easily repaired.

I have extended a line to the exterior of the coach to enable discharge directly on the ground.

Mine discharges all the time when it is heating water that is maybe 40 degrees to 140 degrees. The 6 gallons of water does not have room to expand in a tiny 6 gallon tank. If you notice most home tanks have expansion tanks for the change in water volume. Motor homes usually do not have expansion tanks. You could add an expansion tank, or let the tank expansion valve do what it is supposed to do.

Better the expansion valve discharge than the tank explode or blow a water line somewhere in your coach that in not easily repaired.

I have extended a line to the exterior of the coach to enable discharge directly on the ground.

That’s good to know. To install the extended line did you drill a hole in the side door?

Here are some maintenance tips

Here are some maintenance tips

Thanks for the link. In my case the valve is working as intended and the problem appears to be pressure buildup. The only solution I have found is to turn on the unit just before hot water is needed and opening a hot water faucet in the RV to relieve the pressure. This solves the problem.

Odds are that the unit does not have sufficient air reserve at the top of tank to absorb water expansion when heated or there is debris or sediment in the tank.

Have you flushed that tank recently?

The unit was winterized last fall by draining it and refilled in early January. I haven’t descaled it but I can’t see a way to put vinegar in it on my Holiday Rambler except through the fresh water tank. I’ve followed the instructions to reestablish the air pocket.

I've got a 2008 HR Endeavor with an Atwood gas/electric hot water heater. When the unit is first turned on it discharges water from the pressure valve for a while. I capture the water in a container but it is a bit of a nuisance having to empty it every day. I've changed the 2 sensors in the back to no avail. The water is never hot in the container either. Any ideas?
Bad valve, all it can be

Latest resources

Back