Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

PermanentVacay20

RVF Newbee
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and have already read a lot of helpful comments on various subjects.

I am hoping someone can help me now.

I am looking @ Auction sites and I am curious what is the seller's Legal obligation to the public, possible buyer as far as disclosing all damages past & current?

The Auction site has a disclaimer: "
__________ is a third party marketing service and is not responsible for any accidental misrepresentation of any vehicle for sale due to typographical error or undisclosed flaws. _____________ is advertising this vehicle for a private seller. We make every attempt to represent vehicles accurately, and strongly recommend a vehicle inspection prior to bidding and/or purchasing any vehicle on the internet. This vehicle is sold as is. We cannot be held responsible for inaccuracies in the presentation and description of the vehicles we are marketing for private sellers. Please address all of your questions or concerns regarding this vehicle before you place a bid. Auctions containing errors will be relisted with corrected information. We also reserve the right to end an auction at our discretion. All vehicles are advertised in other venues; therefore they may be subject to prior sale. We will terminate all auctions as soon as we are notified a sale."
I have noticed some Auction sites do NOT allow anyone to view the RV in person.
How are we protected as buyers?
How do we view/inspect the RV if it is located in another state?
Let alone have it professionally inspected?

thank you all for your time and advice
B

This website seems like they are just making you aware that they are not the seller, but merely a platform through which sales/auctions are conducted.

Now for your questions:
I have noticed some Auction sites do NOT allow anyone to view the RV in person.
Don’t buy from a place like that. You’re asking for trouble in my opinion.

How are we protected as buyers?
When buying used, you’re mostly not. Even if you had it professionally inspected and big problems are later uncovered, you need to prove that the issue should have been caught by a competent inspector. That’s a high and ambiguous standard to meet. Like many things in life, you make the best decision you can with the information you have, trust and follow your gut and hope it turns out okay

How do we view/inspect the RV if it is located in another state?
You get in your car, or take a flight to go see it or have someone you trust go take a look on your behalf and give you their thoughts. Personally, for me, I have to put hands on it.
Let alone have it professionally inspected?
This website will help you locate a certified NRVIA inspector nearby the RV location. Any reputable seller, dealer or private, will allow you to have the unit inspected prior to purchase. If they won’t, you do not want that unit - no matter how nice it looks.

I sell about 1,300 to 1,400 cars a year at auction for a large dealership. I also buy at auction. The seller is obligated to inform the auction/bidder of certain defects. Usually; frame damage, flood damage, previous theft, air bag deployment, foreign country, not actual miles/odometer tampering. It is up to the buyer to determine if they are willing to take the risk. Because you are a newby, I would be very cautious and get some professional help.

MapNerd answer about getting in a car or flying to see something is 100% right. Nothing better than your own eyes. We work with buyers in this situation often and even if financing it can happen. We have gotten approvals and even had paperwork ready to go. Once the final ok is given, docs are sent back and forth and quickly in for funding. The whole process can happen in a couple business days. Not a long wait to make an informed decision.
Let us know how we can help.
Thank you,
Ken

Latest resources

Back