• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Average tire pressure, Class A

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
It's true that no one else should tell you what tire pressure you should run. You need to look at the charts and decide from there. There are so many "opinions" and as you know as a pilot we pilots do charts, we do speeds per charts, not adding 5 and 10 knots for the parents, kids, pets. Okay, I hated flying the A-10 at charted final turn speed, I flew it fast, okay there!

My tires by chart are 75 rear and I think 85 front by corner weights. I am now running 105 front and 90 rear. My last trip to FL in Gaffney when I had corner weights done again he talked me into the higher pressures. RVSEF at a rally also preaches higher pressure which about gave me an aneurism as I believe in charts and not opinions. The consensus is lower pressure is harder on sidewalls, I believe that is true, that is my learned opinion. I do notice truck tires seem to be at max pressure, they seem to maintain their shape, makes me wonder. I feel more comfortable at higher pressures for load carrying and sidewalls. I found my ride actually improved at slightly higher pressure (balance). The reason for the lower pressure I believe is about nothing more than comfort, others please correct me if wrong. The tag axle allows for a more comfortable ride by allowing for lower rear axle(s) to run at a lower pressure.

Tough discussion as this wraps safety with opinion. You'll have to use your own judgment in the end.

Sorry, but there is no “average tire pressure” for any coach. Each individual coach is different in weight, load balance, tire size, etc. The correct tire pressure for one coach is unlikely to be the correct tire pressure for even another one of the same year/make/model.

Sadly, discussions like this lead people to pick a tire pressure at random based on someone else’s coach instead of getting their own coach properly weighed for corner weights and consulting the tire manufacturer’s charts.

TJ

I was just trying to see what others were running. I understand all the differences in size and weight. I doubt anyone is choosing a pressure based on someone else’s answers. What is interesting is …. learning how some still adjust their pressures different from the charts.

BTW there will always be an average pressure. Simple statistics.

It's true that no one else should tell you what tire pressure you should run. You need to look at the charts and decide from there. There are so many "opinions" and as you know as a pilot we pilots do charts, we do speeds per charts, not adding 5 and 10 knots for the parents, kids, pets. Okay, I hated flying the A-10 at charted final turn speed, I flew it fast, okay there!

My tires by chart are 75 rear and I think 85 front by corner weights. I am now running 105 front and 90 rear. My last trip to FL in Gaffney when I had corner weights done again he talked me into the higher pressures. RVSEF at a rally also preaches higher pressure which about gave me an aneurism as I believe in charts and not opinions. The consensus is lower pressure is harder on sidewalls, I believe that is true, that is my learned opinion. I do notice truck tires seem to be at max pressure, they seem to maintain their shape, makes me wonder. I feel more comfortable at higher pressures for load carrying and sidewalls. I found my ride actually improved at slightly higher pressure (balance). The reason for the lower pressure I believe is about nothing more than comfort, others please correct me if wrong. The tag axle allows for a more comfortable ride by allowing for lower rear axle(s) to run at a lower pressure.

Tough discussion as this wraps safety with opinion. You'll have to use your own judgment in the end.
You are correct Neal. Lower pressures are recommended by RV makers for comfort. A slightly higher pressure will almost always make the tire last longer at the expense of ride quality. The key is to not get carried away and put too much pressure in the tire. ?

Latest resources

Back