• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Basement door hinge failure on 2022 4081

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Oh!!! By the way, I personally think the design of the hinge is a superior design, it is a shame no one caught the manufacturing problem.
Indeed, my only complaint is the composite bushing, a formed nylon pressed into an aluminum shell with either machined or stamped grooves for snap rings. It is hard to believe that a solid bronze flange bushing could not be made and assembled on the hinge a hell of a lot cheaper and be much more reliable.
@Joe Goodxrvn, if I had a C&C lathe, I might be tempted but I have a old analog machine in the back of the hangar that is great for quick little custom work but not for manufacturing. I only made the two bushing so far. Next week I will be doing the rest of them and I will see just how efficient I can be. I am happy to talk to anyone who might want a set made. Also I may be able to source bushings with the exact ODs.
Cheers
Rusty

My wet bay door hinge recently did the same thing. I used plain wire and twisted it on the groove where the snap ring goes. Been good for a month now of full timing. Not sure I'm going to replace the ring now.....

Same problem with one of my new 2023 Newmarket New Aire baggage doors (although it should be an issue with all). The diameter of the holes in the hinge are so large that they barely rest on top of the spring loaded retaining rings. Put enough down pressure on the door or hit a pothole hard enough the rings flex and goes right through the hinge holes, dropping the door several inches. The rings don't even pop off or out of place, almost like a magic trick.

I ended up disassembling the hinges on that door and inserting washers with smaller diameter holes between the hinge and the retaining rings. So far so good... I should go do them all, but other projects have had higher priority.

Best,
-Mark

It’s funny when I was buying my coach the salesman literally hung on to an open bay door with all his weight and feet off the ground. All 200 + plus pounds of him. To show me the strength of the doors. I though it was really funny. But I guess not so funny when your bay door fails. He even does it in a sales video on line for Stoltzfus Tiffin RVs.

HH

It’s funny when I was buying my coach the salesman literally hung on to an open bay door with all his weight and feet off the ground. All 200 + plus pounds of him. To show me the strength of the doors. I though it was really funny. But I guess not so funny when your bay door fails. He even does it in a sales video on line for Stoltzfus Tiffin RVs.

HH
Now that was a good salesmen!!! The see, I don't care what you've been told, our doors are great!!! Or look over there, no issues here! Wonder what that tells you! I have always looked for the trap door.

The bushing design is great, the quality of hinge is the problem. Bearing/bushings require slip to press fit to stay in place. I like the washer fix! Even still, a close tolerance fit in the washers hole is ideal.

Latest resources

Back