• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

v92cjeff

RVF Newbee
Hi my name is Jeff,
I purchased a 1995 Gulfstream Sun Voyager, looking for input on 12v or 6v batteries for dry camping

Welcome @v92cjeff. I don't know why choose one over the other, mine came with 8 x 6V batteries wired to make 4 x 12V pairs. I think it comes down to amp hours in the end and of course room to store them. The bigger question I think is battery type: lead acid, agm, lithium. Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy the super friendly group.

Welcome to RVF @v92cjeff; glad to have you join us.

Not sure I quite understand the question. I assume you are talking about amp-hour capacity and that depends on the number of batteries you have. When 6V batteries are used, they are connected in a serial/parallel configuration; 12V batteries are connected in parallel. In both cases, the final voltage output is 12V. In general, a bank of 6V batteries in series/parallel configutation will provide more capacity amp-hour capacity than half the number of 12V batteries. And, of course, this assumes that both sets of batteries are of relatively similar capacity to start with.

TJ

In the day! Golf cart batteries GC-x would last better than 12v marine deep cycle batteries, this is mostly because the battery chemistry of the two was different.

Fast forward! AGM 12v marine deep cycle will hold up just as well as AGM 6v GC batteries. AGM batteries will hold up on average 2x longer than flooded batteries will. Depending of course what they were designed to do. LTO lithium is better than all the other tech in my opinion and will put them all to shame.

Latest resources

Back