• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Battery replacement

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Rich......I'm wrong! I don't know where that came from this morning, (maybe a senior moment), but you have a 12vdc system. (2 batts, +to+ and -to-). That's 12 volts, with higher available amperage. My appologies. (minus-to-plus, is the 24vdc system.)

The rest of what I said this morning is correct. You might want to investigate AGM type of lead-acid batteries, too. They're lighter weight, and still have good reserve power.

Sanda's suggestion of two, 6-volts isn't out of line, either. Two 6-volters, wired in series, still gives you the 12vdc, but equal or higher reserve than the two, 12-volters in parallel. If you foresee doing some boondocking, it might be worth considering.

Roger
I should have picked up on that too but didnt. Anyway sounds like the OP made a good choice.

To the OP, in case this is new to you, remember when calculating the Ah of your battery bank, if the batteries are wired in parallel the voltage stays the same but the Ah doubles (the way it is in the pic); when you wire the 6v batteries in series you double the voltage (to get your 12v) but the Ah stays at the value of one battery.

Ending up getting two 6v gc2 batteries. It was $100 more total but twice the amp hours. Thanks
Now here's a thought and I'm actually thinking of going this route with 6V Golf Cart Bats when the time comes to replacing my AGMs. I've read numerous times of people doing it. Just this week finally spoke to a campground neighbor who's been doing it for years. He's tried using only 2 oz/cell of regular mineral oil but found that 3oz/cell works better. The oil keeps the cells from boiling/gassing up, keeps the battery tray clean, from having to check and add distilled water so often.
He's had his 6 volt batteries lasting for years. Just take out 3oz of electrolyte out of each cell and replace with 3oz of the mineral oil. I've read of people using 2 to 4 oz/cell.
It was good to finally meet someone who actually uses mineral oil.

Latest resources

Back