Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Tioga montara

RVF Regular
House batteries aren't holding a charge. Found some everstart group 24dc at Walmart for replacement. Is there anything special I need to do befor disconnecting? I plan on turning off the aux power, motor and generator will be off. Is there a fuse to pull or anything else? Dont feel like getting electrocuted.

Attachments

• 20221219_133149.jpg
    20221219_133149.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
Well, you've done a very important step already. You have photo documentatiom of how it's hooked up, BEFORE disconnecting it. We've heard too many horror stories of folks disconnecting, and then connecting in reversed polarity, destroying parts of thier electrical system.
Yours is 24vdc, and it would charge at maybe 28 volts. It takes about 40-45 volts to penetrate dry human skin, so electrocution is a very slim possibility. The biggest worry is grounding out that positive lead with a wrench while you're trying to loosen the clamping bolts.

Now, I'm not familiar with the particular battery you mentioned, but it sounds like a standard automotive battery. You can do a fair bit better for not a whole lot more money. A deep cycle RV/marine battery allows you to draw more power before battery damage starts occuring.

Just my 2-pence.....Roger

Well, you've done a very important step already. You have photo documentatiom of how it's hooked up, BEFORE disconnecting it. We've heard too many horror stories of folks disconnecting, and then connecting in reversed polarity, destroying parts of thier electrical system.
Yours is 24vdc, and it would charge at maybe 28 volts. It takes about 40-45 volts to penetrate dry human skin, so electrocution is a very slim possibility. The biggest worry is grounding out that positive lead with a wrench while you're trying to loosen the clamping bolts.

Now, I'm not familiar with the particular battery you mentioned, but it sounds like a standard automotive battery. You can do a fair bit better for not a whole lot more money. A deep cycle RV/marine battery allows you to draw more power before battery damage starts occuring.

Just my 2-pence.....Roger
First I didn’t notice the 24v configuration until you memtioned it. Is this common in RV’s? I had 24v on my sail boat for the winches and anchor, but other than my own creations, haven’t seen this on an RV.

Also I concur - no hazard of electrocution but there is the possibility of unintentional welding, so removing the negative cables before putting tools to the positive will eliminate this potential.

On batteries, I guess the price was right given the sourse, amdmas long as you are careful about maintaining them and avoid excessive discharges, you should get some reasonable life out of them This is an bit long but well worth the read: How To Maintain Batteries - Deep Cycle Battery Store

Rich......I'm wrong! I don't know where that came from this morning, (maybe a senior moment), but you have a 12vdc system. (2 batts, +to+ and -to-). That's 12 volts, with higher available amperage. My appologies. (minus-to-plus, is the 24vdc system.)

The rest of what I said this morning is correct. You might want to investigate AGM type of lead-acid batteries, too. They're lighter weight, and still have good reserve power.

Sanda's suggestion of two, 6-volts isn't out of line, either. Two 6-volters, wired in series, still gives you the 12vdc, but equal or higher reserve than the two, 12-volters in parallel. If you foresee doing some boondocking, it might be worth considering.

Roger

What's the comparable 6v size for a 12v group 24? Would it be gc2? And would I need to do anything to the factory installed charger?

No on the charger or converter. It is still seeing 12 volts. As to battery size, a tape measure will assure a correct fit. And if you have the space, go to a 27 size. Even more power.

Latest resources

Back