RV Make
Fleetwood
RV Model
Flair, 34R
RV Length
34'
Fulltimer
No
Our RV (05' Fleetwood Flair) comes with two furnaces. One works fine (in the Kitchen area).

The Bedroom furnace tries to light. I hear it clicking several times, but never lights.
After attempting to light, it stops clicking and an LED flashes 3 times. The label for that reads "Ignition Lockout Fault"

I can only think of two things: 1) a spark is not actually being generated (although I can't see where that device is). 2) there is no gas flow.
What's the best way to determine these? Or could there be another issue?
Where exactly would the igniter electrode be located?

It looks like this is a new unit. Here are pictures:
Bedroom Furnace.jpg

Furnace3.jpg

That thick wire goes from the capacitor can (top of your pic) to the electrode. You have to remove the burner assembly to get at it; assuming the burner itself is good (no big rusted-out area etc) you may as well replace the electrode while you have it apart. You should also remove the orifice and _lightly_ blow it out; it might be full of gnat carcasses.

That thick wire goes from the capacitor can (top of your pic) to the electrode. You have to remove the burner assembly to get at it; assuming the burner itself is good (no big rusted-out area etc) you may as well replace the electrode while you have it apart. You should also remove the orifice and _lightly_ blow it out; it might be full of gnat carcasses.
So this does require pulling out the whole unit. Darn.
I suppose I'll start that process (when I have a good bit of free-time).
Thankyou.

Pulling the whole unit out is easy as you have outside access. There are things you can test as is. There should be a switch in sight in those pics, turn it off. Go inside and turn on the furnace and turn up the thermo to ensure it is calling for heat. GO back outside and turn on the switch, it will try to fire 3 times and then go into lockout mode(red led flashing). You can pull the ignition wire off with GOOD insulated pliers and hold it close to the point you pull it off of. You should have a 3/8 inch spark. When it tries to light, you should hear a loud clunk as the gas valves open, and then it should be tick tick tick. If you have a multimeter you can check for voltage in several places. More on this if you need it. If you check for voltage and it is below 10.5 it may not fire up. I always check dc voltage before going further in my search. They are quite simple once you know how they work and the path of the voltage.

One thing to do is unplug the board and clean the edge connectors with contact cleaner or Deoxit. Sometimes the connectors have just gotten cruddy. Also, if it's trying to fire, the sail switch and limit switches are ok.

You can fish out the burner assembly without pulling the entire furnace.

It's good practice to fire the thing up regularly all during the summer etc.

I always check dc voltage before going further in my search.
Good advice, that led me to the problem: Dual-Solenoid was not getting power to it during the lighting process. When I connected 12v directly to it, it definitely clicked. BTW I also never smelled propane during the lighting process.
I tested the wire running from the board to the solenoid. That wire was good.

The easiest thing now is to test a new board. Ordered a new one on Amazon.
Thank you for that advice.

That would be the brown wire, and you have a bad relay on the board. But also test the ground, power has to go to ground.

Latest resources

Back