• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved Bedroom TV Doesn't See Antennae

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Thanks for your efforts, that's a handy tester to have.
This would tell him if the signal is getting to back of the bedroom tv, but if it indicates no signal then it’s back to tracing cables and splitters. Potentially you could screw the tester on at various connections to isolate the particular section at fault

I'm no coax or TV expert but I recently changed the TV's in my coach and it made a world of difference. This just tells me there is a technology change in the coax provider (digital signals) vs. older TV technology, or so I assume. I have a post on this site about improving coax and I found the splitters Newmar used were of a narrower band and digital coax requires a higher band range so I changed my splitters which also helped, as well as terminated unused ports. I think some campgrounds are piping in digital coax which may be different from older technology???

This would tell him if the signal is getting to back of the bedroom tv, but if it indicates no signal then it’s back to tracing cables and splitters. Potentially you could screw the tester on at various connections to isolate the particular section at fault
I hadn't even considered being able to test all the intermediate splitters and such along the way as well as the end point connection; brilliant!

I'm no coax or TV expert but I recently changed the TV's in my coach and it made a world of difference. This just tells me there is a technology change in the coax provider (digital signals) vs. older TV technology, or so I assume. I have a post on this site about improving coax and I found the splitters Newmar used were of a narrower band and digital coax requires a higher band range so I changed my splitters which also helped, as well as terminated unused ports. I think some campgrounds are piping in digital coax which may be different from older technology???

I had read this months earlier when I first started troubleshooting. As a result of reading this I found a splitter that was just being used to connect 2 coax together, which I replaced with a single connector. I assumed they just used it as it was handy but thought, hmm, should there have been another coax on the unused splitter connection?

My coax tester will be here tomorrow, gotta love Amazon Prime. Thanks, Neal!

Fixed!

The coax tool was invaluable but alas, the TV had to come down. It was actually quite easy to remove, 3 screws top and bottom; the special bit for their screws makes all the difference.

Since I am not the original owner I can only hope Newmar didn't release it like this, the splitter behind the TV was not connected to the TV, instead there was a coax connected to it (TV) coming from behind the wall.

I removed the coax from the TV and put it in one of the splitter's outputs, the other output I connected to the TV, the input came from a wall plate marked Roof Mount. It now see the antennae and pulls in channels when I scan.

It's great feeling when you figure this stuff out.

Latest resources

Back