Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Being a Starlink residential customer, I am familiar with the service. That said, random thoughts...

I am seriously considering Starlink for the new RV. Do I install a permanent array on the roof or a mobile array I can move around when I get to the camp ground.

Upside of portable unit: you can search for a good signal away from obstructions,
Bad side is searching for a good signal at each campsite and taking in the array each night.
Many folks will leave items out overnight, I am not one of them. We pack any items nightly we do not want to walk away. Chairs are cheap, satellite arrays are not. Also, cable is a trip hazard.

Upside of a permanent: More capable array to acquire signal, just turn it on, no management, can be use when underway.
Downside is $$$, and finding clear signal when trees are present..

I guess typical camping area would play a large role in the decision. Out west with open skies, a permanent installation might be preferable while East Coast camping with all the trees might favor the mobile unit.

If money is no object...both....

Thoughts???

We do not have ours mounted permanent, but can move it around. Almost every time we use it, it is on the roof - we always tie it down when it is on the roof and we do not have a ladder permanently on the back of the rig. Getting to the roof is not something that someone can easily do, unless the thieves carry a ladder with them.

In terms of roof location - Sometimes at the front, sometimes at the rear - only once was it on the ground. We like the flexibility.

I understand the concern about not leaving valuable things outside that can grow legs.

I don’t believe it can be used while in motion, unless you pay for a different plan for use in motion. They also push you to the more expensive array for in motion (IIRC).

I do not have my Starlink dish mounted permanently. I mount the dish on the side of my coach using industrial grade suction cups and an expandible graphite pole. I secure the top suction cup mount and the pole with a braided steel cable padlocked to the roof awning support. If someone wants to steal it, they are going to have to work at it. This setup gets the dish off the ground and gives me the flexibility to mount the dish at the front or rear and on either side of the coach depending on site conditions. I have the router permanently mounted in the basement and run the Starlink cable out of the power bay door. This configuration has worked well for me.

Attachments

• 20230618_163947.jpg
    20230618_163947.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • 20230620_131518.jpg
    20230620_131518.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 19

Latest resources

Back