Best truck for towing, and why?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
TJ and Chargerman...

I think that we are pretty much in agreement in our comments here, let me see if I have this correct. Diesels...far more powerful and efficient power plant, not suitable for heavily loaded 3/4 ton trucks due to payload considerations. GMC 6.0 gas...Solid and bullet proof although thirsty. Not nearly the same power as a diesel but allows for a higher payload given the same configuration. Far less maintenance than a current diesel though if you consider DPF and related components, fuel filters, water and algae in the fuel, I'm sure there is more but that's enough for me. Ram interiors are very nice I agree.
Now that I have no payments and have my GMC equipped for heavy towing I'm very hesitant to make a change, compared to today's high end trucks it is spartan but utilitarian. Unless there is catastrophic failure I will be keeping this truck, but...My newest dream truck would be an F 450 with the 10 bolt wheels and huge brakes and the 1000 lb ft diesel power plant. Now that's a truck!
Cheers

Agree on all points. My GMC already has 110k but in mint condition. I’m with you on keeping it. I usually trade at 100k but will hang in a bit considering the fit out costs for the gooseneck and hardware to flat tow it behind my MH. I’m hoping to have fewer horses in a few years and therefore no longer need a 3/4 ton. Currently my next truck will be a Ram 1/2 ton with the diesel (for mileage) with the Longhorn package and the split tailgate. Who knows what it will be when I’m ready to replace the current truck. Maybe get real crazy and consider electric.

TJ...Perhaps my post was not written well or clear enough if that is your take away. I did not state that a diesel will reduce the towing capacity of a given truck, my comments are entirely based on ''payload'' as that is the critical number when the intended or potential use will be for a 5th wheel. 5th wheel trailers typically put 20-25% of the coaches total weight on the pin which loads the bed of the tow vehicle., travel trailers put 10-15% of the coach's weight on a ball mount at the bumper. A 10k 5th wheel may add up to 2500lb of weight without considering any of the other heavy items associated with a trailer, thereby reducing the payload capacity to a number unsupportable by a 3/4 ton truck. GCWR does not consider payload in that calculation, GVWR does however. My point is that if a diesel is the intended power plant, a 3/4 ton truck is not the platform. Note the photo in my 2nd post was the factory ''payload'' sticker, your comment about a 1 ton truck reinforced my statement.
As for your other comment about gas still being parked on the side of the road...I have towed through the northern and southern Rockie's and over the Continental Divide, the Cascade's and Siskiyou's, the high Sierra's and many other ranges at altitudes over 10k without any hiccups in my 6.0 gas GMC. This rig has approx 400lb ft of torque and a 6 speed transmission, my 1993 F250 7.3 diesel had 360 lb ft of torque with a junk 4 speed, this truck was not rated as high in "payload''as the gas GMC. My 2007 F350 had about 570 lb ft of torque but was a single rear wheel and the payload was similar to the gas GMC, but it was a 1 ton, perfectly suitable for the lighter 5th wheel I currently own.
Cheers
Thank you for your expertise.....I will pay more attention to these items as I do my shopping.

Well I have a 2019 2500 ram diesel crew and pull a montana 305rl. It pulls great added air ride
Think maybe there is alot of ford Chevrolet lovers. They are all good trucks! Buy what you like
Trucks are made to work.

A diesel engine increases the truck's towing capacity and this is easy to verify in minutes. Yes the engine is heavier but that affects the front wheels and has a negligible impact on payload capacity at the rear axle. Even with a 5th wheel travel trailer the most that is going to be carried at the rear wheels is 4,000 lbs.
With a gas engine a truck is going to get 6-9 mpg pulling a 12,000 lb trailer but the same truck with the diesel engine is going to get 11-13 mpg and this makes a big difference in driving range on a tank of fuel. The diesel engine has an exhaust brake and when working properly they make for much more comfortable driving on downgrades with a heavy load or a heavy trailer.
Lots of opinions get posted by people with no real world experience which is most unfortunate.
Diesels cost twice as puch to operate but if pulling a trailer that weighs more than 10,000 lbs the cost is worth it many times over. Try to safely accelerate to 65 mph to merge with traffic while towing a heavy trailer and if you have a diesel engine in the truck you will soon appreciate its value.

I drive a 2017 Ram 3500 DWR Cummins 6.7 diesel pulling a 2013 DRV Suites 38 foot. This is 14000lb with 3800 pin weight I average 9.5 mpg combined towing this rig and could not be happier. I really appreciate the exhaust brake and the Cummins in the mountains. I tried it with a Ford F250 diesel but just not enough truck for the big DRV. You cannot get enough payload the a 3/4 ton truck to load a big 5th wheel. Just too much pin weight for the tires and axle. My opinion get the most truck you can as it will be less costly in the long run. Most buy a RV and always want bigger and better

I agree with druidcat. When we began full timing it was in a 3 year old Montana fiver (3800RL). I had a F350 with the 6.7 diesel but it was SRW and a short bed. I weighed twice a year hooked up and loaded and was always at the top limit. To me it was just a constant worry.

This time around when we were going back to a fiver I went with another F350 but instead of a short bed SRW I went with the long bed DRW and max payload package. I'll never need to have over 6,000 pounds of payload in my bed but it is a great feeling to know I can go that high. My current 44' loaded fiver doesn't even squat this beast.

My advise would be to figure out what truck would get the job done and then jump up to the next one with a higher payload.

3/4 ton up will feel truck like. If it doesn't there will be lots of squat when hauling. The rest is brand preference. I like strong transmissions because I feel that is the weak link in a tow vehicle. For me that would have me leaning toward the GM branded vehicle with Allison trans unless I was going standard trans. In that case it would be the Cummings engine option. That by the way is why you see a lot of RAMs pulling RVs.
You lose towing capacity with the newer standards over the automatics. Also in this day and age there are many who cant drive a standard.

I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread but wanted to share my thoughts for anyone else who's considering a heavy duty truck for towing.

I wouldn't even consider a 2500 unless I really needed the improved maneuverability of the shorter wheelbase afforded by the smaller cab and standard (6.5 ft) box. A 3500 costs ~$1500-2000 more and rides the same but I believe most of them are only available with the longer wheelbase (157" or longer vs 145").
Also, be aware that a diesel 2500 may not have any more payload than a 1500 as the increase in GVWR is essentially offset by the increased weight of the engine. That's not to say that the 2500 won't tow better but you could jump up to a HD truck and still not technically be within its capacity.

I'm partial to the GM trucks as they have independent front suspension, which makes them ride smoother and eliminates the death wobble that Ford Super Duties are prone to.

Be aware that the 6.4 Hemi gas engine in the Ram 2500 has cylinder deactivation, which is supposedly good for fuel economy but is not so good for reliability.

I would only buy a diesel if I was working it hard and often. Modern diesels do not like short trips in the city/stop and go, especially unloaded. Don't plan to use one for commuting unless you want to do lots of exhaust system regens.

Also, sorry if this repeats some stuff that was covered previously.

Latest resources

Back