Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Yucatan2

RVF Newbee
We are planning to purchase a truck this month and were set on a diesel Ram 2500, as we see so many using this truck, and test drove a nice one last week with the new 12 inch Nav. Screen and lots of bells and whistles....but it felt rather “truck like” in the ride. Yesterday we test drove a GMC Durango 2500HD, a Chevy Silverado High Country 2500, and a Ford F250 (didn’t like that one so much.) The Chevy and GMC both had a more comfortable ride...I couldn’t believe how smooth and quiet the Chevy was. We have owned a Silverado in the past that had the usual Chevy electrical problems (lights going out). At this point we are towing a 5000 pound travel trailer, but anticipate moving into a fifth wheel in the coming years, so want to have enough truck for that. Only the two of us, so won’t be buying an especially long fifth either.

Appreciate input from your experiences and knowledge.....thank you!

3/4 ton up will feel truck like. If it doesn't there will be lots of squat when hauling. The rest is brand preference. I like strong transmissions because I feel that is the weak link in a tow vehicle. For me that would have me leaning toward the GM branded vehicle with Allison trans unless I was going standard trans. In that case it would be the Cummings engine option. That by the way is why you see a lot of RAMs pulling RVs.

I'm new to this forum but have spent many years towing different types of trailers using different tow vehicle configurations. Additionally, I thoroughly research exactly this same topic regularly. So I have an opinion that I will offer for your consideration.
To start with, trucks are just that, they're trucks. They are designed to carry and pull, if you want a capable one then you must concede the notion that it should ride as a passenger car. Some heavy duty trucks may feel smoother but at the least should be rated to carry/pull the heaviest load you anticipate. If you anticipate a 5th wheel is in your future a diesel engine 3/4 ton is a poor choice that you will regret when you do the actual number crunching as far as payload capacity. The reason for this is that the diesel engine and transmission combination are significantly heavier that a gas engine/transmission and that will reduce the payload of that truck to a number that will not, per the manufacturers rated spec, carry what you have, especially a truck with with all the bells and whistles. For example, my 2013 GMC 2500 SLE gas engine truck has a rated payload of around 3000lb. That same truck with the diesel engine/trans combo is rated around 2300lb. The 700lb difference will take the diesel out of consideration, if you want to be safe and legal. These numbers are different for every truck depending on equipment level, numbers from a manufacturers website are not accurate except for a bare bones work truck. You MUST read the sticker in the door jamb that has the actual payload available for that particular truck. With my 10,300lb Cougar 30' 5th wheel and all the gear I will carry in the bed (hitch, tools, wood, barbeque, spare propane, gas for genny, passengers, pin weight of the trailer, and all other items), I weigh in at just under my max rating of 9200lbs. I have also performed many significant performance modifications to make the truck/trailer work better under max load but I do not think that these mods increase my payload. Any tow vehicle with a door sticker payload under 3000lb will be overloaded when you load and equip it for a 5th wheel, in my opinion.
Does my gas 6.0 perform well with this heavy of a load you ask...in short, yes. But on the steepest inclines the transmission will drop into a lower gear raising the RPM's to upwards of 5000 while I try to maintain highway speed. As a former amateur road racer rev's don't scare me and the 6.0 GM powerplant is designed for this. Those same hills would not be a problem with any modern diesel engine. My mileage from new has averaged an even 12.0 and I would say that 70% of those miles are towing, heavy.
I hope that this helps
Cheers

Here is what you should look for in a truck you are considering

Attachments

• GMC door sticker for loading.jpg
    GMC door sticker for loading.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 75
I'm new to this forum but have spent many years towing different types of trailers using different tow vehicle configurations. Additionally, I thoroughly research exactly this same topic regularly. So I have an opinion that I will offer for your consideration.
To start with, trucks are just that, they're trucks. They are designed to carry and pull, if you want a capable one then you must concede the notion that it should ride as a passenger car. Some heavy duty trucks may feel smoother but at the least should be rated to carry/pull the heaviest load you anticipate. If you anticipate a 5th wheel is in your future a diesel engine 3/4 ton is a poor choice that you will regret when you do the actual number crunching as far as payload capacity. The reason for this is that the diesel engine and transmission combination are significantly heavier that a gas engine/transmission and that will reduce the payload of that truck to a number that will not, per the manufacturers rated spec, carry what you have, especially a truck with with all the bells and whistles. For example, my 2013 GMC 2500 SLE gas engine truck has a rated payload of around 3000lb. That same truck with the diesel engine/trans combo is rated around 2300lb. The 700lb difference will take the diesel out of consideration, if you want to be safe and legal. These numbers are different for every truck depending on equipment level, numbers from a manufacturers website are not accurate except for a bare bones work truck. You MUST read the sticker in the door jamb that has the actual payload available for that particular truck. With my 10,300lb Cougar 30' 5th wheel and all the gear I will carry in the bed (hitch, tools, wood, barbeque, spare propane, gas for genny, passengers, pin weight of the trailer, and all other items), I weigh in at just under my max rating of 9200lbs. I have also performed many significant performance modifications to make the truck/trailer work better under max load but I do not think that these mods increase my payload. Any tow vehicle with a door sticker payload under 3000lb will be overloaded when you load and equip it for a 5th wheel, in my opinion.
Does my gas 6.0 perform well with this heavy of a load you ask...in short, yes. But on the steepest inclines the transmission will drop into a lower gear raising the RPM's to upwards of 5000 while I try to maintain highway speed. As a former amateur road racer rev's don't scare me and the 6.0 GM powerplant is designed for this. Those same hills would not be a problem with any modern diesel engine. My mileage from new has averaged an even 12.0 and I would say that 70% of those miles are towing, heavy.
I hope that this helps
Cheers
I agree with most of your analysis...except...for the diesel part. While I do agree that the extra weight of a Diesel engine/transmission will reduce your towing capacity a bit, if you are close enough to the maximum towing capacity for that to make a difference, you need a one-ton diesel truck.

In the past, we towed a sizable 5th wheel with our 2001 Ford F-350 diesel and stayed well below the rated GCVWR. We had no difficulty maintaining highway speed in our travels throughout the Mountain west; crossing the Continental Divide in the Rockies at up to 8K feet numerous times with no difficulty. A gas-engined 3/4-ton truck would still be parked alongside the road under those co/nditons. ;)

TJ

I have owned all three. By far my current GMC has been the most reliable. I have the 6.0 also. An average 12.0 mileage with 70% towing is not accurate. Not even close. Average empty with a 4x4 crew cab is 12 with 50% highway driving. Whenever I tow, whether a 4 horse gooseneck horse trailer or a loaded car trailer I get 8-9 mpg average. Maybe 10 on highway only with rather flat terrain. The 2014 Ram I had was the best fit out truck I have ever had. It had far better fit and finish and “luxury” appointments than my GMC. Current GMC is an SLT and the Ram was a Longhorn. Had a couple warranty issues with the Ram but I loved that truck. The Duramax/Allison power train is the best I’ve owned. Amazing power and the engine/transmission was a perfect marriage. Unfortunately, the Ford I owned was the absolute worst experience I’ve had. Major problems and will never purchase another one. Certainly mine was more problematic than most and I understand that any brand can have a problem child but my experience totally soured me on Ford.
Best of luck with whatever choice you make!!

I agree with most of your analysis...except...for the diesel part. While I do agree that the extra weight of a Diesel engine/transmission will reduce your towing capacity a bit, if you are close enough to the maximum towing capacity for that to make a difference, you need a one-ton diesel truck.

In the past, we towed a sizable 5th wheel with our 2001 Ford F-350 diesel and stayed well below the rated GCVWR. We had no difficulty maintaining highway speed in our travels throughout the Mountain west; crossing the Continental Divide in the Rockies at up to 8K feet numerous times with no difficulty. A gas-engined 3/4-ton truck would still be parked alongside the road under those co/nditons. ;)

TJ
TJ...Perhaps my post was not written well or clear enough if that is your take away. I did not state that a diesel will reduce the towing capacity of a given truck, my comments are entirely based on ''payload'' as that is the critical number when the intended or potential use will be for a 5th wheel. 5th wheel trailers typically put 20-25% of the coaches total weight on the pin which loads the bed of the tow vehicle., travel trailers put 10-15% of the coach's weight on a ball mount at the bumper. A 10k 5th wheel may add up to 2500lb of weight without considering any of the other heavy items associated with a trailer, thereby reducing the payload capacity to a number unsupportable by a 3/4 ton truck. GCWR does not consider payload in that calculation, GVWR does however. My point is that if a diesel is the intended power plant, a 3/4 ton truck is not the platform. Note the photo in my 2nd post was the factory ''payload'' sticker, your comment about a 1 ton truck reinforced my statement.
As for your other comment about gas still being parked on the side of the road...I have towed through the northern and southern Rockie's and over the Continental Divide, the Cascade's and Siskiyou's, the high Sierra's and many other ranges at altitudes over 10k without any hiccups in my 6.0 gas GMC. This rig has approx 400lb ft of torque and a 6 speed transmission, my 1993 F250 7.3 diesel had 360 lb ft of torque with a junk 4 speed, this truck was not rated as high in "payload''as the gas GMC. My 2007 F350 had about 570 lb ft of torque but was a single rear wheel and the payload was similar to the gas GMC, but it was a 1 ton, perfectly suitable for the lighter 5th wheel I currently own.
Cheers

Chargerman...
I would not make the comment that your stated mileage is inaccurate as I don't know the particulars of your drive style, potential aftermarket modifications or any factors relative to your mileage numbers. My GMC will achieve 17 mpg on the highway unloaded and will average 9.5-10 pulling the 5th wheel on a 5k trip that has unloaded highway miles as well. I have never reset the overall mpg number in the DIC since new and hand calc's indicate that it is fairly accurate. Sorry for your numbers though...

TJ...Perhaps my post was not written well or clear enough if that is your take away. I did not state that a diesel will reduce the towing capacity of a given truck, my comments are entirely based on ''payload'' as that is the critical number when the intended or potential use will be for a 5th wheel. 5th wheel trailers typically put 20-25% of the coaches total weight on the pin which loads the bed of the tow vehicle., travel trailers put 10-15% of the coach's weight on a ball mount at the bumper. A 10k 5th wheel may add up to 2500lb of weight without considering any of the other heavy items associated with a trailer, thereby reducing the payload capacity to a number unsupportable by a 3/4 ton truck. GCWR does not consider payload in that calculation, GVWR does however. My point is that if a diesel is the intended power plant, a 3/4 ton truck is not the platform. Note the photo in my 2nd post was the factory ''payload'' sticker, your comment about a 1 ton truck reinforced my statement.
As for your other comment about gas still being parked on the side of the road...I have towed through the northern and southern Rockie's and over the Continental Divide, the Cascade's and Siskiyou's, the high Sierra's and many other ranges at altitudes over 10k without any hiccups in my 6.0 gas GMC. This rig has approx 400lb ft of torque and a 6 speed transmission, my 1993 F250 7.3 diesel had 360 lb ft of torque with a junk 4 speed, this truck was not rated as high in "payload''as the gas GMC. My 2007 F350 had about 570 lb ft of torque but was a single rear wheel and the payload was similar to the gas GMC, but it was a 1 ton, perfectly suitable for the lighter 5th wheel I currently own.
Cheers
No, it was likely my post was not clearly written. I was just trying to communicate that if you are near the rated towing capacity of a 3/4-ton truck, you should probably think about upgrading to a one-ton. The general rule is to stay within 80% of rated towing capacity. And, that diesel will provide more torque per engine size than gas. That's all I was trying to communicate...and, I didn't do a very good job of doing that.

TJ

Last edited:
Chargerman...
I would not make the comment that your stated mileage is inaccurate as I don't know the particulars of your drive style, potential aftermarket modifications or any factors relative to your mileage numbers. My GMC will achieve 17 mpg on the highway unloaded and will average 9.5-10 pulling the 5th wheel on a 5k trip that has unloaded highway miles as well. I have never reset the overall mpg number in the DIC since new and hand calc's indicate that it is fairly accurate. Sorry for your numbers though...
My truck will also achieve somewhere close to 17mph empty if I don’t go over 65 on level terrain and a wind at my back but average “reality” overall highway mileage empty is more like 15.3. 8-10 mpg towing is what one should expect towing with 10 being a stretch. Not at all trying to be argumentative, just trying to give folks who may have interest in a similar truck an accurate representation of what they should expect. Overall I am extremely happy with my GM truck. My only wish is that they would put similar high quality materials and conveniences that RAM has done such a fantastic job with when fitting out there highly level trim package trucks. Here are a few of my points. Rear seat heating, front seat cooling, under rear floor storage, under rear seat storage, interior lighting, rear seat heating/cooling control, door panel material selection, lighting and quality.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back