• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Black Soot

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Well, since it looks like nothing is amiss with the appliances in your RV, it may just be best to focus on getting things cleaned up and then moving on. Since this situation involved "friends," I'm guessing that you'd like to preserve that friendship, if possible. Given that, it is probably best to not focus on the cause and get things cleaned up.

Your experience illustrates why the old adage "neither a borrower nor a lender be" has a ring of truth to it.

TJ
My mother used to frequently say that. And when it comes to an RV, since these things are complex, and have many unique features and quirks, and are expensive to maintain and repair, I simply would not lend one that I cared about to anyone.

You learn how to operate your rig over time and you just can’t expect someone to step in it and be competent. Then if you factor in the kitchen fire...., well you are a good friend to these people, and I hope they appreciate it, but they probably don't realize just how much you really gave them.

Regardless of its origin, soot is a product of combustion, and if it doesnt occur when you are using the trailer, it was an act or omission on the part of said friends (yes, I was an arson investigator). Given that, and their history, I’d say you’re lucky you are posting this question here and not talking to your insurance adjuster.

Dawn detergent in some warm water. You must wipe down all surfaces affected by the soot...but the Dawn will cut it. Follow with a wipe down with a clean moist rag. Doesn't sound like much fun, but it work. IMHO 😉

Is it possible the tow vehicle was a diesel truck?

You may need to contact a company specializing in residential damage restoration services and have the interior professionally cleaned.

In my other life, I dealt with several kitchen fires which smoked up the entire house. Professional cleaning services, specializing in restoration, was proven to be the best.

yes, soot is a particularly difficult substance to fully remove.

Latest resources

Back