Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Alert Blue Ox coiled 7 to 6 pin harness used in conjunction with Mopar Jeep harness.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
True...if you are using the 12vdc+ as a charge line...it is possible you aren't connected with this updated umbilical.

If you kept the old cord...might check with an ohmmeter to see which pin carried 12vdc and see if the new cord is the same.

Last edited:
Yesterday I reviewed my cable connections and thanks to @Chuggs and the info he provided I sure enough had to move my 12V charge wire. The other wires all seemed backwards from the chart but the lights all worked properly so I'll leave as is, who knows how the installer wired things up on my toad. I wasn't sure how to test the 12V connection at the end of the new cable so I texted Charlie and I want to share what he instructed me to do.

My goal was to test the pins at the end of the new cable with one end plugged into the coach and I wanted to test the toad side (6 pin side). He informed me to turn the key to ON in the coach and then take my voltmeter and find the one female port on the 6 pin that is larger than the others, that's the BLACK (ground). So jam the black pin in there and then test the other pins with red until the 12V appears, and yes, it was the center port per the diagram. I then disassembled the connector on the toad side and moved the red charge wire to the center pin.

Thanks for sharing this important information Charlie, great find as always!

Always happy to spare fellow rvr's the frustration when I can...

Charlie Heres a diagram that I found on Etrailer.com, it shows the pin layout for the NEW STYLE cord, BUT its different then the one that you showed me, somethings not right and I don't have my RV with me at the moment so I can't even test it but, I just figured Id let you know, ETrailer is usually pretty good with stuff like this.
Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 9.17.51 AM.png

Yeah...the simplest thing to do is connect it to the coach, and use a multi-meter or test probe to map the terminals. I use a probe to see which wire in the toad goes to which light.

allsun Digital Automotive Electrical Circuit Tester 2-24V DC Pen Type Vehicle Diagnostic Tool Auto Electrical System Diagnosis Test Device https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079ZRQRJR/?tag=rvf01-20

I was just amazed...after having installed the Blue Ox gear on my Jeep in 2016...then, when I replaced the cord...having it not work. At first, I thought I had received a bad cord. After testing continuity, the cord wasn’t bad, but in a different configuration. This is obviously a bit frustrating.

Yeah...the simplest thing to do is connect it to the coach, and use a multi-meter or test probe to map the terminals. I use a probe to see which wire in the toad goes to which light.

allsun Digital Automotive Electrical Circuit Tester 2-24V DC Pen Type Vehicle Diagnostic Tool Auto Electrical System Diagnosis Test Device https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079ZRQRJR/?tag=rvf01-20

I was just amazed...after having installed the Blue Ox gear on my Jeep in 2016...then, when I replaced the cord...having it not work. At first, I thought I had received a bad cord. After testing continuity, the cord wasn’t bad, but in a different configuration. This is obviously a bit frustrating.
Thanks, Great little tool to have!

Got my new cable from Amazon the other day and Got the new version thankfully. My old connector seems to have the new wiring at the six pin as detailed by chuggs, so I kept that configuration. The Old six pin was a bit of a mess,so I’m sure glad I replaced it. I would wholeheartedly agree that this connector and the harness itself should be replaced every couple years as a matter of course. I’m glad the new one is fully molded at both connectors, but it puts up with so much action it’s just gonna be a high failure item. Thanks again to Chuggs and others involved.

Attachments

• 97D4E540-DCCD-4CBE-95D2-AC415ABDD694.jpeg
    97D4E540-DCCD-4CBE-95D2-AC415ABDD694.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
Got my new cable from Amazon the other day and Got the new version thankfully. My old connector seems to have the new wiring at the six pin as detailed by chuggs, so I kept that configuration. The Old six pin was a bit of a mess,so I’m sure glad I replaced it. I would wholeheartedly agree that this connector and the harness itself should be replaced every couple years as a matter of course. I’m glad the new one is fully molded at both connectors, but it puts up with so much action it’s just gonna be a high failure item. Thanks again to Chuggs and others involved.
How did you know it had the old wiring? Did you test it prior or just hooked up to the RV?

How did you know it had the old wiring? Did you test it prior or just hooked up to the RV?
It was wired as Chuggs said is correct in post #4 above. Will test in the AM

It was wired as Chuggs said is correct in post #4 above. Will test in the AM

okay, so I ordered a new one from amazon and received the old style Without the sealed ends, I was on a trip yesterday and it didn’t work, so I’m going to tear into it and see what’s going on, I think the wires were changed, even on the old style coils, I know the new style with the sealed ends were changed but I didnt thing the old style were.

Latest resources

Back