Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a long-time firearms owner, competition shooter and certified firearms instructor, let me strongly suggest that you immediately get some instruction in the use a firearm for self defense, and the responsibilities incurred when doing so. Even if you are an experienced hunter or target shooter, you should definitely get training in the self-defense aspect of using of a firearm. And, you also need to know that laws regarding defending yourself with a firearm vary widely from state to state, regardless of whether or not you have a valid CCW.

TJ
I am also a competition shooter and agree 100 %. Only thing you also need a shotgun for the few states and Canada that don't like pistols . You can carry a pistol going to and from Alaska but not when just traveling in Canada.

I am also a competition shooter
By your forum name, texskeet, I'm guessing you would be one of the few who wouldn't have to ask what our coach license plate means; "2LOW8S."

TJ

Sad story, unfortunately you can be approached almost anywhere. You have to be vigilant.
Your most effective defense is Situational Awareness and a Plan. What happens if...?

Something like what happened to us on a Saturday night in the Newmar building 10 parking lot. We were settling in for the night waiting for service the next week at Newmar. An attractively dressed female gets out of a car stopped in front of our RV on a Saturday night and approaches our RV. After knocking on the door, she asks what I determined to be an odd question. The question was innocuous but out of character for the situation.
First thing we did was turn on all outside lights, then look around and assess the situation. DO NOT open the door.
We pulled the shade up to look at who knocked and then respond with a simple "no, we can't help you".

Basic situational awareness is a top priority. Know who and what is around your space.
You might ask how I knew how she was dressed and how I knew there were other occupants in her car?

It is my habit to investigate anything that approaches my position, especially when we are in an unregulated space at night. I heard the vehicle approach on the gravel and looked out the window to see her exit the passenger side. Thankfully there is some ambient light in the parking lot at Newmar. Noted Color, Make and Model.
Thought it was odd that she was dressed in very nice office attire on a Saturday night in an industrial complex parking lot. We were in the Lot with only a couple of other RVs waiting for service the next week.
Thankfully when she realized we were not going to open the door she retreated to her vehicle and they departed the area. However, I did not sleep well that night.

Yes, Joe; "situational awareness" is probably the best tool in the security toolbox! You handled the situation well.

TJ

By your forum name, texskeet, I'm guessing you would be one of the few who wouldn't have to ask what our coach license plate means; "2LOW8S."

TJ
You got it right. Have you been to the World Shoot ?

You got it right. Have you been to the World Shoot ?
Yes, but not since 2016. Quite honestly, the World Shoot underwhelmed me. I guess I just don't like large crowds. On the positive side, I've shot with folks from Australia, New Zealand, England and, of course, the USA. That was fun.

TJ

Living in Corpus Christi it was so easy to go. All the people from everywhere was always the best part.

Good luck in California. The sheriff denied our ccw applications and we are very experienced with firearms. Besides move to a different county or out of state what does one do? I’d also recommend this org for self defense insurance.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/

Sad story, unfortunately you can be approached almost anywhere. You have to be vigilant.
Your most effective defense is Situational Awareness and a Plan. What happens if...?

Something like what happened to us on a Saturday night in the Newmar building 10 parking lot. We were settling in for the night waiting for service the next week at Newmar. An attractively dressed female gets out of a car stopped in front of our RV on a Saturday night and approaches our RV. After knocking on the door, she asks what I determined to be an odd question. The question was innocuous but out of character for the situation.
First thing we did was turn on all outside lights, then look around and assess the situation. DO NOT open the door.
We pulled the shade up to look at who knocked and then respond with a simple "no, we can't help you".

Basic situational awareness is a top priority. Know who and what is around your space.
You might ask how I knew how she was dressed and how I knew there were other occupants in her car?

It is my habit to investigate anything that approaches my position, especially when we are in an unregulated space at night. I heard the vehicle approach on the gravel and looked out the window to see her exit the passenger side. Thankfully there is some ambient light in the parking lot at Newmar. Noted Color, Make and Model.
Thought it was odd that she was dressed in very nice office attire on a Saturday night in an industrial complex parking lot. We were in the Lot with only a couple of other RVs waiting for service the next week.
Thankfully when she realized we were not going to open the door she retreated to her vehicle and they departed the area. However, I did not sleep well that night.

Then again, maybe that was my wife who I just took out to dinner and we came to ask directions to the NEW service facility since Newmar sent us the OLD packet of info!

Kidding, it wasn’t us, but we really DIDN’T have the right info and that very well could have been us. Sometimes, I feel like a fool by being to cynical and suspicious. We live in a quiet suburb of LA, but we are definitely warped and try to modify our “guard” commensurate to the given area. That is...IF we know it. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There should be an app to show high crime areas to avoid. I know it will drive the PC Police crazy.
Years ago in Miami it was a cottage industry for Liberty City gangsters to hunt for lost tourist drivers to rob. It took the killing of a German family for the City to do something about it.
WAZE has no problems showing the locations of police. How about showing areas that are dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back