• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Broke down on I-80 by Elkhart Indiana

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We considered mobile mechanic while waiting, but it is Sunday.
I was nervous as hell just trying to find out where the leak was. 18 wheelers scream by at 75-80mph only 3’ from me. Many of them don’t bother moving over, even if there is room? The tow guy also commented how inconsiderate some drivers are.
I have replaced countless water pumps on marine diesels, but that was not the place to work on engine. Plus I’m too old for that stuff 👴
Glad it worked out. I had my belt changed and water pump checked at 50k just because of reading stories like yours and having a rear radiator. That belt will probably well over 100k but I’ve had about enough of that kind of wrenching too. At 100k I’ll get another belt and a preemptive water pump and idler pulley.

Since your belt is going to be off anyway I’d reccomend a new idler pulley and belt to go with the pump. The old belt would make a good spare. I’m glad the tow went well and it makes sense that anywhere near Elkhart you’d get folks who know what they‘re doing, as Neal mentioned.

I also used to have a high opinion of truckers, considering them professional drivers. Many still are, but there are almost enough marginal and just plain bad drivers these days to change my overall opinion of them.

Good suggestions Rich. I’ll get a new idler pulley.
They put covers on the axel openings, but some oil came out which they collected.

Good suggestions Rich. I’ll get a new idler pulley.
They put covers on the axel openings, but some oil came out which they collected.
Figured they would - I plan to get a set to carry in the coach but I guess most big-rig tow trucks carry them.

Freightliner shop opened at 6am. I went in at 6:30 to talk to them. Immediately the technician came to the coach and started installing back the driveshafts at the parking lot and drove the coach into one of the bays. Told us the pump is in stock and he will be finished in about hour and a half. ( I must be dreaming) that is some service. Nice customer launch. 👍

Always nice when a shop prioritizes folks on the road.

I'll have near 60K miles when I go to Gaffney for my 60K Nov 1st. I emailed them asking if we should replace the water pump, any belts, or anything else for pre-emptive/preventative maintenance. Any suggestions are welcome too, but I certainly want to avoid @Buly's situation if possible.

These are fairly inexpensive to have done and not all that much fun:

• complete chassis lube and remind them about the “hidden” zerk on steering column
• brake system check
• Air dryer if its the original
• change oil in differential
• change front hub oil
• re-torque engine mounts
• visual inspection of air compressor (I had a mount break)
• air filter depending on age, miles, restriction
• suggest annual DEF filter change

Some of this stuff I might do myself, but when Im there I usually have them do things that will keep me from getting under the coach if the price is right.

Figured they would - I plan to get a set to carry in the coach but I guess most big-rig tow trucks carry them.
I have been towed twice in 17 years. Both times the tow truck drivers were very experienced older drivers who removed the drive shaft instead of removing the drive axles. They both said that even though it is more difficult to do, especially on the side of the road, they always tow this way. It certainly is less of a mess. If it were me, I would ask the tow driver to drop the drive shaft and not pull the axles.

We were out of the shop at 9:45 with an invoice of $880. The pump was about $350 and the rest labor, extra small parts, fluids and taxes. Not bad.
I asked to see the failed pump.
The center bearing totally failed and the shaft was cocked to one side. The visual inspection the same morning did not give me any indication that something is failing, like weeping or wet spot on the engine.
What surprised me was the impeller. It is made of black plastic with the strength on Tostitos corn chip. The blades were breaking off with little effort just using my fingers (photo).
The pump is not rebuildable and basically trash. I feel component like that should Last more than 60K miles. Specially in light use. I always cruise at 65 max.
That’s the end of another chapter. Slowly heading South to Florida.

30C15218-3CC0-4A28-9562-DEA1D1E68A99.jpeg

Congratulations on everything falling into place, that could have gone a whole different direction.

Latest resources

Back