• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Broke down on I-80 by Elkhart Indiana

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Congratulations on everything falling into place, that could have gone a whole different direction.
Thanks Jim

thanks for the update, glad they got you out fast -- sounds like you were in the right place.
Surprising on the water pump quality/design. Safe travels!

I have been towed twice in 17 years. Both times the tow truck drivers were very experienced older drivers who removed the drive shaft instead of removing the drive axles. They both said that even though it is more difficult to do, especially on the side of the road, they always tow this way. It certainly is less of a mess. If it were me, I would ask the tow driver to drop the drive shaft and not pull the axles.
I've been towed once. Got an idiot recommended by coachnet. 16000 dollars damage and a lot of aggravation.
I'll get a mobile first and then insist on a low boy trailer next time.

I've been towed once. Got an idiot recommended by coachnet. 16000 dollars damage and a lot of aggravation.
I'll get a mobile first and then insist on a low boy trailer next time.
Thats why I had some otherwise unnecessary work done like changing the belt at 50k and checking the water pump, etc. With a rear radiator its the kind of work I dont want to do myself, and I dont want my coach on the hook either.

Buly, I’m glad it all worked out ok!

Last edited:
We were out of the shop at 9:45 with an invoice of $880. The pump was about $350 and the rest labor, extra small parts, fluids and taxes. Not bad.
I asked to see the failed pump.
The center bearing totally failed and the shaft was cocked to one side. The visual inspection the same morning did not give me any indication that something is failing, like weeping or wet spot on the engine.
What surprised me was the impeller. It is made of black plastic with the strength on Tostitos corn chip. The blades were breaking off with little effort just using my fingers (photo).
The pump is not rebuildable and basically trash. I feel component like that should Last more than 60K miles. Specially in light use. I always cruise at 65 max.
That’s the end of another chapter. Slowly heading South to Florida.

View attachment 14594
What pump is this exactly? When I mentioned "water pump" with FL-Gaffney today for possibly replacing mine as I'm approaching 60K they said it's a "house builder part". I replied I'm not talking "water pump for the house but the one for the coolant for the engine" - they again responded that this is something Newmar installs. I need to know more specifically what to ask for to have pre-emptively replaced to avoid the above situation.

What pump is this exactly? When I mentioned "water pump" with FL-Gaffney today for possibly replacing mine as I'm approaching 60K they said it's a "house builder part". I replied I'm not talking "water pump for the house but the one for the coolant for the engine" - they again responded that this is something Newmar installs. I need to know more specifically what to ask for to have pre-emptively replaced to avoid the above situation.
They were confused. This is an engine part from Cummins plain and simple. I’d tell them its the one thats run by the serpentine belt on the front (well back in our case) of the engine. They probably just don’t get that request very often, if at all, so they were thinking pumps other than the engine water (coolant) pump. But that is odd…. :unsure:

Send them some pics if you have to:

Attachments

• A7B9493E-E6A0-4233-A8C3-A9D1DA1BC228.jpeg
    A7B9493E-E6A0-4233-A8C3-A9D1DA1BC228.jpeg
    867 KB · Views: 2
  • 66F2DDB3-71BC-4542-BB64-2FB799790112.jpeg
    66F2DDB3-71BC-4542-BB64-2FB799790112.jpeg
    763.4 KB · Views: 2
  • B7316A82-366F-45C2-BCC1-EAE52856BE13.jpeg
    B7316A82-366F-45C2-BCC1-EAE52856BE13.jpeg
    507.7 KB · Views: 2

Latest resources