• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Broken DEF Header and possible workaround

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
No. You're on the right track. Was sort of answering an earlier post about the location of the control valve.

@Jim - Here's the Cummins QuickServe document for the fault code. It talks about the valve that's upsteam of the DEF Header.
Right - could be either and they are typically remotely located on trucks. Maybe on 2016 and later emissions system coaches as well? And of course Spartan and FL systems are different. I don’t know - learn something new every day, or at least try to. Thanks for pointing that out.

The shop that diagnosed Jim’s wanted to sell him a complete DEF header job - maybe they could have just replaced the $40 valve but there wasn’t enough money in doing it that way? Or maybe they wanted to replace both? I don’t know but the valve is prone to failure and that leads to derating (and thus potentially being stranded again with all that entails) and a new one wouldn’t be any less prone to failure, so I lean towards a manual valve or bypass.

If I were transiting the Dakotas or similar this time of year I’d want it operating as delivered (and for trucks it makes perfect sense) with both “maintenance” and “defrost” modes functional. My plan is to avoid colder climes so a manual valve doesn’t even seem necessary, and Jim’s version of the mod would do just fine. I’ve also enclosed the compartment where my tank is located so its less prone to freezing.

It's been 3 months since I made this modification, so I figured I should update the outcome. Since the modification, I have driven across Florida, through Georgia, and up into North Carolina. All with -0- issues.

I'll probably install a gate valve so that I can direct the heated coolant through the DEF Header in those few cases I might be driving in colder weather. But at this time, I have no intentions of spending a couple grand to replace the DEF header just to repair the internal broken valve.

It's been 3 months since I made this modification, so I figured I should update the outcome. Since the modification, I have driven across Florida, through Georgia, and up into North Carolina. All with -0- issues.

I'll probably install a gate valve so that I can direct the heated coolant through the DEF Header in those few cases I might be driving in colder weather. But at this time, I have no intentions of spending a couple grand to replace the DEF header just to repair the internal broken valve.
Good to hear. It’s always nice to see one of these situations resolved sensibly and economically. And I somehow doubt you’ll do much driving below 12°F.

Neal, I guess this means you can count Jim as a non-participant in next winter’s wonderland tour.
🤔

Neal, I guess this means you can count Jim as a non-participant in next winter’s wonderland tour.
🤔
That's a shame as you know my "frozen" RV tours book up fast. How's my marketing doing so far? Raise pant legs...

That's a shame as you know my "frozen" RV tours book up fast. How's my marketing doing so far? Raise pant legs...
I'm sorry to have to inform you, we won't be able to make it this winter. I signed up before mentioning it to my wife, do I need to say anything further? Move someone off the waitlist. I'm just heartbroken knowing I won't be able to show off my driving skills on ice-covered roads. 😭😭

I wonder how many sled dogs would I need?

Latest resources

Back