Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins / I6 Diesel Pusher 600HP / 1,950 ft-lbs
TOW/TOAD
2016 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
No
We're up on the top of the property for this stage of the build. There are several hundred trees to taken down and the road is going to be a challenge for sure, so I handed off the earth moving to my contractor friend, Donnie.

There will be 4 sites on the top of this mountain and the long range views will be beautiful. This area is several hundred feet higher than the existing park, so the temps are going to be cooler throughout the season. Probably won't have power and sewer this year, but if the weather and the building department cooperate, we should be ready when the 2024 season opens.

DSCN0873.JPG

DSCN0833.JPG

DSCN0844.JPG

DSCN0867.JPG

DSCN0869.JPG

DSCN0853.JPG

DSCN0857.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0853.JPG
    DSCN0853.JPG
    483 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN0857.JPG
    DSCN0857.JPG
    442.6 KB · Views: 9
@Jim ,
What is your vision for total number of spaces when the park is completed?

@Jim ,
What is your vision for total number of spaces when the park is completed?

To be honest, I never expected to do more than the original eight sites. But obviously that has changed, and it looks like we'll have a minimum of 15 sites, and maybe up to 20 or more.

Although I retired 11 years ago, I'm not the kind of person to sit back and do nothing. Hence, I'm always looking for interesting things to do. Building an average RV park would be easy, but not stimulating. But building an RV park that is on top of a mountain, and setting up the sites to provide each RV with the optimum long range views, that is truly challenging. :)

The road going up this mountain will have to be 30' wide to accommodate traffic that moves both directions. And once at the top, we need to providing the driver of a 45' Class A or lengthy 5th wheel, with enough thought-out space to navigate and park comfortably.

It's fun, challenging, and when it all comes together, rewarding. If somebody gives us a 5-star review and says, "OMG, we drove up the side of a mountain, parked at the top, and we could see for miles!" Well, that will make it all worth while!

And at the end of the day, hopefully we can make a little money to pay for Ryker's frisbee addiction. :)

DSCN0911.JPG

I know what you mean about sitting around after retirement, not in my nature either. Looking forward to heading your direction.

Fantastic Jim.
Is the road going up the mountain going to be paved?
Or is it a gradual incline?
That's the part that would scare me if not paved???!!!

Fantastic Jim.
Is the road going up the mountain going to be paved?
Or is it a gradual incline?
That's the part that would scare me if not paved???!!!
Paving it will run $75K, so I'm trying hard not to do that. If it's wide enough, and the slope isn't too steep, I'm hoping it will be fine. But if not, then we'll do what ever we have to do! :)

As long as it is at least as good as the road up to Campfire Lodgings outside Asheville it will be good enough.

That road scares people away from going there 😀. It is gravel, dirt, and potholes. Sharing my dashcam footage got some to brave it and they were thankful.

But, as you say, the view from the mountains is worth it. We watched a thunderstorm below us from up there last time we camped in that park.

Where is the future site located
Not sure I understand the question. If you're asking what town, we're 13 miles West of Franklin NC. If you're asking where at the park the future site is located, well, it's on top of the mountain. :)

We have about 50 acres that we're developing, or maybe I should call it an opportunity for my wife to decorate. If Trish lives for one thing, it's her dogs. A close second is to decorate. Inside/outside/everywhere. This season/that season/the coming season. It makes no difference, she just loves to decorate.

So the more sites I can put in, the happier she is. She loves putting in plants of every kind, and mixing/matching them to make the area look/smell so good!

Now that's my side of the story, her side is that she has to do this stuff because I'm always building something and she has to make it pretty. I guess we're a good match.

I was just up there and it's coming along awesome! The road is steeper than what I had hoped for, but I think it's doable. If not, we'll build a bunch of tiny homes and call it good. I'll get some pictures of the view tomorrow, that is if it doesn't rain us out.

Latest resources

Back