RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutchstar 4369
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CRV
More than 73,000 Burning Man attendees were told to stay at their camps Saturday and are blocked from leaving the event after a slow-moving rainstorm turned their desert playground into a soupy, muddy morass.

Organizers banned vehicle traffic from the roads Friday afternoon and kept the exit gates closed as of 8 a.m. local time Saturday. Even walking was treacherous as thick, slimy mud clung to shoes and anything else it touched.
IMG_0263.png

Having camped in various locations on the Black Rock Desert several times (in very small numbers and never during BM) I know exactly what that mud is like and while I’m sure many “burners” took exception to the decision, I can only imagine the havoc that many vehicles would cause in all that muck. Even in the dry seasons, mud can be found in some areas and it will get anything stuck. What a horrid mess it must be with all those people out there. I would also never take my coach out on the Playa for any reason even in completely dry weather. Also I’m sure the decision was made by BLM and not “event organizers”.

So, although I had heard about bm I had no idea what it was about.
As such another rabbit hole opened up.
I saw park rangers literally bust up a protest on Awaken With JP. and other great news that reminded me why it ain't on the bucket list!
But everyone has their own dreams.

Well it is a lake bed after all. This time around the burners get to experience another aspect of nature in the desert. What fun!

An attendee reports that it's actually the best burn in years and that the mud is really putting the kibosh on posers and city-slickers who came expecting everything to be peachy-keen. She also brought a couple of weeks worth of food, water and tank capacity in her Forerunner and old travel trailer.

An attendee reports that it's actually the best burn in years and that the mud is really putting the kibosh on posers and city-slickers who came expecting everything to be peachy-keen. She also brought a couple of weeks worth of food, water and tank capacity in her Forerunner and old travel trailer.
That does seem like a very unreasonable expectation. I got caught in a sand storm out there on one camping trip that lasted around 16 hours and I imagine most burners have also had that pleasure. It is not an environment to be taken lightly. That said, I’ve had some great adventures on the playa and in the surrounding mountains exploring, checking out hot springs, old mines with jeeps and dirt bikes, etc. Great place to camp, but not so much when wet.

Years ago (early 2000s), I worked for a company that had so many Burners that they had to have a lottery to determine who got that time off each year. Many of them still go every year. I kind of regret having never gone.

Yes running out of necessities would be a problem. I ran into a couple volunteer Burning Man Rangers out there one year on a camping trip north of the BM site a week or so before the event started. Danger and Dusty they called themselves, male and female although I don’t recall which was which. I had just managed to seize a Kawasaki KX500 and had about a 5-6 mile walk back to camp, and when they found me walking the bike across the barren playa, they gave me and the bike a ride in a very battered F250 carrying a port-a-poti. Very kind of them to do so - a memorable experience to be sure.

Black Rock Lake surrounding Burning Man:
IMG_2394.jpeg

Zoom in on the pic - all that clutter in the middle of the lake bed is 73,000 burners and their various attractions, abodes, and conveyances.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back